Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an old IMAC running Yosemite 10.10.4. Still works

Customer Question

I have an old IMAC running Yosemite 10.10.4. Still works fine except start up disk almost full. The trash , after being deleted normally & securely, still has many items in it. Help please !
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please what steps have you tried so far ? Also how much space is left on your Mac ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As mentioned above, tried to empty trash regular method & secure method. After accessing that 1,000s of files to be deleted, they remain in trash. Space left is less than 2 gigs and message that start up disk almost full cashes on screen at least once an hour. I have movies to delete to make space but as it stands it gets moved to trash so no space savings
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

There is a special database file for Trash. If it get corrupted, you will not be able to empty trash. So first, I want you to empty Trash using this application Trash It! --> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it!

If that didn't work, then lets get rid of Trash database. Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities folder and type sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Make sure you to write the commands correctly. Press return key on your keyboard. That should empty the trash.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Your Mac needs atleast 15GB of free space for normal operations. Download and use this application OmniDiskSweeper (use free/trial version) --> https://www.omnigroup.com/more

This will give you a summary about what files are using up the hard drive space. So you can delete the unwanted files easily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used application trash it but "application has stopped responding" so forced quit and tried your second option,In applications, utilites folder I typed the following in terminal sudo rm -rf~/. Trash the response , after inputting my password,rm: illegal option -- ~
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink fileI do have a WD backup, MyBook, could that be holding the trash file ? When I unplug the drive, the trash icon says empty, when the drive is hooked up, all kinds of files in trash
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, That is possible. It is the Trash of external drive got corrupted. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your ext hard disk in left column, then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.

Let me know the results.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If repairing drive doesn't work, then can get rid of the Trash database of the external drive. Yes, there is a trash database for external drive as well.

Do you have a Windows computer with you ? If so, you can connect the hard drive to that Windows computer and you will see a folder named .Trashes. Delete it. That's it. This will fix the problem. Getting rid of that file/folder from Mac OS X is a little difficult as OS X normally won't allow it in default way. But can be done.

You may need to install this driver to see the external hard drive on PC --> https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows-free/

Let me know how it goes.