Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

My ipad does not work after uploading the new ios9 upgrade.

Customer Question

my ipad does not work after uploading the new ios9 upgrade. I am stuck on a rotating screen of password, an apple logo trying to load, a message saying i have upgraded but need to complete a couple of more steps and a slide bar that does not work properly
I read that you have to reboot your ipad on itunes but that wont work as it says I have to turn off find my ipad before hand I cant access ipad
Advice pleeeeeeease Im going crazy Have wasted 5 hours now to no avail
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Sorry to hear about your ipad :(

I can see a lot of people having the same issue. I am afraid you need to restore the device to get it back to working state again.

You can turn off find my ipad through your computer. Are you in front of a computer right now?

Thank You

Vinod

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let's go to the following website

www.icloud.com

Once in, click on Find my iphone app.

1. Click All Devices, then select the device.

2. Click Erase [device], then enter your Apple ID password ***** your family member’s Apple ID password. Because the device isn’t lost, don’t enter a phone number or message.

If the device is offline, the remote erase begins the next time it’s online. You receive an email when the device is erased.

3. When the device is erased, click Remove from Account. Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try

sure take your time. Let me know if you come across any difficulty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i did what you suggested and erased my ipad but it will not work as the ipad willl not erase until it connects to the internet and it cant do that as it wont open It just has the screens that show up that I talked about before
After it connects I can remove the find my iphone

no worries.

Do you have itunes installed in your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it open
Just waiting for instructions

Now connect your ipad to the computer.

Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together for 30-40 sec. Let me know if your computer gives any message asking you to restore the ipad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting to see if it works computer just taking time

no worries. take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it gives me the options of update or restore

go for restore please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am just waiting for it to restore
we are on adsl 1 here and internet is slow

I understand, take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just said it was having trouble restoring
So I have asked it to restore and update again

ok let's try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it said check your network settings
but im on the internet so they are fine
the ipad asked last night to connect to our internet and I agreed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i turned the ipad off and it is back to the same screens again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is crazy that an update can make such a mess

I understand :(

Let's try it again.

on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together for 30-40 sec (don't let them go even when you get an apple logo).

Your computer should now give a message that the ipad needs to be restored. Restore it now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ipad just asked to join the internet wifi i agreed same as last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back to same screens again

can I remote into your computer and try to fix this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have kept the button down till the computer screen gave the option of restore I did this twice and both times it tries to restore and then says it has internet probs I will try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried again And sadly it did not work

:(

That is something related to the computer or the network connection.

Do you have any apple store nearby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About an hour and a half away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my internet is working as I am on it now

Can you give me the exact error message please regarding the network?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the computer is new only two weeks old so no issues with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will have to go through and write it down

It is some settings within the computer (or the speed of the Internet) is causing the problem. If you could give me the exact error message, I can run a search.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says unknown error (-39)
make sure network settings are correct and your network connection is active or try againbehind it is a screen saying currently downloading software but its option boxes are greyed out It is an old screen that was up before. I think I hit update the first time and it is left over from that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you have tried hard
Maybe I have to go to apple and get them to reset it back to the old update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
annoying as it will waste a whole day

I understand your frustration :(

Yes, if you take it into any apple store nearby, they will restore it for you and load the new OS.

I would also suggest you to try connecting the ipad to different USB ports and trying a restore again. Also, turn off any antivirus and then try to restore..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
antivirus on my computer?

yes. You can disable it for a few minutes and then try to restore the ipad. (sometimes you need an exception in the antivirus for itunes to download the updates and that can cause the issue). Also, try connecting the ipad to different USB ports (as one USB port may not have enough power to connect to the ipad).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I disable the antivirus I did not put it on was put on by the government dept

okay. May be you do not have the permissions if it was put on by your company or the government department. Also I am not an expert in computers and antiviruses, so I am not sure either.

Try connecting the ipad to different USB ports and then try a restore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok have changed ports and put in a different cord too

are you still getting the same error message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck Tried again twice

I was just going through the apple support website and I found that error 39 can also occur if your itunes is out of date.

Can you try downloading and installing the latest version of itunes by going to the following website

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Then try the restore again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exact same message the (-39)

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Then try the restore again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed itunes only last night as it was a new computer so it is the newest version

oh okay. so that should not be any problem.

Let's open the Internet explorer application. Then click on the gear icon at the top right and select "internet options". It will bring up a new window. There, select the "connections" tab and choose "lan settings" button.

There, select the option "automatically detect settings" and choose ok.

Now try to restore the ipad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok did and now I will try to do the ipad again

okay let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this message appeared after I tried to restore the ipad .....the ipad software update server could not be contacted An unknown error 167 appeared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I had no issues with the computer or ipad before I upgraded All the issues are apples fault in their down load
It looks like
I will have to go to Melbourne to get it fixed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you tried to fix it but it has not worked

I understand. I am working with three people simultaneously now and all are having the same issue.

For one, I remote into her machine and fixed it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will leave this screen open If you come up with a solution then I will pay you
I will keep checking on my computer But I have to do other things now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you will work it out with the other techs Good luck

For you, there are some settings in the computer that may need a change so that the itunes store download won't be interrupted. I will try checking the apple websites to see if there are other solutions available and will let you know if I find any.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wont be going to apple today as it is too far away So I am happy to pay you if you fix the problem by tomorrow 12 pm East Coast time Australia That is 24 hours since we first stated, That seems fair dont you think?

How did you download itunes? Is it by going to their website? Or did you download it from some other file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did download itunes stuff last night with no issue

but did you download it from the itunes website? and could you please tell me what version of itunes are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to their website
I already had an account
I just needed to download it onto my computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
itunes ink

You are using a windows computer (PC), arent you?

Let me know of the itunes version please (to check if it is 12.3 or 12.2).

To find the version, open itunes. Then press the "alt" and the "h" key at the same time. That will bring up the menu bar. Then select "about itunes". It will list the version.

Here is the news about your issue (listed in the apple website).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205239

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.30 44 iTunes
Have just dowdnloaded music so it is working
I am using a pc

Thank you.

I believe the time and date set in your computer (at the bottom right) is correct, isn't it?

1. From the Start menu, choose All Programs > Accessories and then right-click Command Prompt and choose "Run as Administrator" from the shortcut menu. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
  2. In the resulting window, type ipconfig /flushdns and press Return on the keyboard.
  3. You should see a message that the DNS Resolver Cache has been successfully flushed.

now try a restore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my time and date is correct

The other troubleshooting we can try is to flush the dns cache. I have given instructions in my previous message. Here is it again in case you missed it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok on my old computer those instructions made sense on my new one it is set up differently
I just changed to the old style setting
I see all programs but not the word access

is this is a windows 8?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked my apple software and it is up to date

Your itunes is up to date, so will be your apple software and apple applications.

I believe there are some settings issue in the computer that is causing the problem. Do you have a different computer to try with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not sure what windows it is but I expect it is the latest as it was just given to me by the education dept

Just type "command prompt" in the search box and it will bring up a black window.

There, type ipconfig /flushdns and press Return on the keyboard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the apple site said you needed to link it to a computer it had already been synched with My old one is at the repairers I dropped a cup of coffee on it so I cant use it I can get another computer but it will not be set up with iTunes so installing it will take a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will max out my number of computers that can link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe thb prob is t5hatt the ipad was not synched before to ths computer

You can connect your ipad to any computer (and you can have 5 computers with the same apple ID) and try the restore. It is not compulsory that you have to connect it to a computer that it is already synced to. If you synch it with a new computer, your ipad will have to be set up as new (or restore from icloud backup) and that is the only difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try

A different computer may not be having the same settings as this one and most likely could resolve your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iTunes still downloading Nearly finished

okay. Let's hope for the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something looks like it is downloading It says it wll take 4 hours
But I cant authorise the other computer as I am at my limit of 5
One of the other items is lost One is at the repairers
One is my iPhone so I cannot delete any today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be in tough when it finshes downloading

you can deauthorize your new computer and authorize the current computer. (deauthorizing and authorizing is not required for restoring the ipad as that is only for signing in with your apple ID. If you are uploading to icloud, this won't be any issue at all).

Or if you want to deauthorize any or all of your computers, just use this document.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204385

I understand it is taking a long time. This can happen if you have a very slow connection. I am afraid how long it would take for a restore as that is a very huge file. Your itunes is only about 150 MB, but the restore file can be more than 1 GB (which is 10 times the itunes file).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still has over an hour to go according to the computer Hoping it works

It is extremely slow I am afraid. It will take more than 3 days if you try a restore (and if there is traffic in the network, the restore stops with error and we will have to start again). Probably the network speed is the reason you are not able to download the restore file.

Try a restore anyway and see how much time it needs to complete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ipad finished downloading. And super sadly all that work has not achieved anything. I pressed the buttons again but nothing changed.

Sorry to hear that :(

Did it go through the whole process of restoring? Did it ask you whether to restore from a backup or set up as new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iPad said it had restored. Download was completed
So issue not fixed by restoring
I will send the iPad to an apple shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If u have any ideas on fixing it today leave a message. I will look at it this afternoon after work

Even after restoring the iPad, if you still get the same problem, you may need someone to look into it physically. I can remote into your computer and try the fix once more, but that may not work as expected as your internet is really slow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Internet downloaded all of the content. So the speed was ok for that
But I do notice that after the slide button part and you get to the Apple icon the downloading line starts. It goes slowly then it stalls.
So the screen goes black.
It is the same each time.
The download only lasts 2 seconds.
So I think I only have the option of taking it to the city where fast broadband is available at the apple shop. thanks for all your patience but I think this problem needs to be sorted by a tech hands on. As there was no difference using the other laptop maybe the Internet is an issue.

I think that would be a better choice as the apple shops would be having a faster internet connection. This is also a bug with Apple. I can see many people with the same problem after the update and restoring is the only solution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much
I know you did your best
Sadly you were unable to fix my problem this time so I will not make payment
However I believe you are so patient and very helpful.
I would recommend you and will use you again.
Cheers
Amanda

Thank you, ***** ***** you have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Just spoke to Apple.
They are now releasing today iOS 9.1
I have made a booking to get it looked at on Sunday 3.00 at the Apple Store
So frustrating
Thanks again for your help
Amanda

Thank you for the update. I think iOS 9.1 should be a fix for the current issue that has affected many users - the inability to unlock the device after update.

The update 9.0.1 has already been released here in New Zealand.

I have attached a screenshot on what issues this update will address.