Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I installed Skype on my iPad. I use it to call - USING the

Customer Question

I installed Skype on my iPad. I use it to call - USING the DIALER - to my Mother and other remote family who don't use Skype.
Very suddenly last week I could not hear the ringing (after I dialed) but I could see on the screen that it was ringing. My mother picked up. I could hear her no problem She could not hear me. I muted/unmuted a few times no luck. So I hung up and tried again. Eventually giving up.
To figure ti out I used Skype to call my HOME number. same thing. BUT, here is the kicker, when I looked at the caller ID on my home phone it showed the call came from my CELL phone. I DO NOT even have an iphone. I have an Android.
So Skype thinks it needs to call through my cell phone. This is the weirdest issue I have ever seen and I am really good at getting weird stuff on laptops etc.
If I knew how to uninstall I would try that (I am a PC person - the iPad is for convenience and I know little about it)
Any ideas and PLEASE read the whole thing before you jump to the first convenient answer.
Many thanks
Moira
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try this first: press and hold both the Power (On / Off) button and the Home button (which is located right below the screen) together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then check.

- If that does not work, at the screen where it shows all the app icons, including the Skype icon, type and hold on the Skype icon, then tap on the x icon within the skype account and confirm delete

, then go to App Store, then type / search for skype then install Skype again and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand you are telling me how to remove and reinstall. BUT what if this issue occurs again in a couple of weeks. I need to know why/what and how to correct it. Reinstalling Skype I thought of on my own. I want to solve the actual issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first suggestion did not work
I am now reinstalling Skype

Usually reboot works. It should not happen again; it is a glitch, so you likely do not need to reinstall again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Issue unchanged after reinstalling skype
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told you above that the reboot DID NOTHING. I then reinstalled Skype. Problem still there!!

I'm sorry; I mean usually the reboot works, but it did not work in this case. And it is strange that reinstallation of the app did not work either. Let me open the issue to other experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email / reply when there is another suggestion from another expert. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will check back when I get an email
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

It is important to see if the microphone is the issue on your iPad. To test it, go to the app store and download Voice Recorder (Free)

Open the app and try recording a voice memo and see if it plays back your voice. If it does not play back your voice then your microphone is having the issue on the iPad and would need a repair. If the playback works, please let me know so we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mic works fine if I use skype the normal way. Please see my FULL description. The Skype DIAL mode makes calls as though it is calling from my cell phone.. So i si not the mic