David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

PREVIEW has suddenly stopped working. I have been viewing

Customer Question

Hi Mike,
PREVIEW has suddenly stopped working.
I have been viewing pictures which are on my desktop for several hours, by double clicking on the picture.
I now see a message; [ The Application "Preview" is not open any more.
I have dragged a picture to preview in the dock. No help.
I selected a .pdf file, pressed COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window.
In the Open With panel, Preview is the Default Application.
This is confusing.
Please steer me in the right direction.
Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will do whatever I can to help you with your question. Mike is currently offline, so if you are happy to continue with me then let's go.

Perhaps Preview has stopped responding, if so it's a minor thing, and it's best to start there.

Click the Apple logo, and Force Quit. If you see that Preview has stopped responding, select it and Force Quit it. Now try as you were trying, double click the file on Desktop.

If that hasn't resolved it, there may be some of Previews support files that are causing issues. Before any file based troubleshooting however it's better to try a restart of your Mac first.

Restart Your Mac and try as you were trying before, double clicking the file on Desktop.

If it still fails to open, let me know the specific error message, if it is saying "not responding', or if it is saying something different the exact wording of it. It's easy to progress to the next troubleshooting step, but for starters try those quick fixes.

Let me know how it goes,

Kind regards,

David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,I am happy to continue troubleshooting with you.My progress so far:
1. I went to the Apple Icon, and from the drop down menu selected Force Quit.
2. The options that I was then able to choose were:
- Preview
- Microsoft Power Point
- Microsoft Word
- Safari
- Team Viewer
- Finder
3. I selected Preview, and then clicked on Force Quit.
4. Preview does not disappear from the drop down options, as seen in #2 above. ??
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It's unusual that Force Quit doesn't close Preview, and the fact it doesn't may stop a Restart of the Mac in it's tracks.

Try Restarting, from the Apple drop down menu on the top left, and let me know what error appears, if any.

Thanks in advance,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked !Thank you David.John R. Hedden MD
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great! You're very welcome. Any time you have a troubleshooting problem, starting off with the least intrusive steps and the quickest steps usually are the same thing. Very glad it was one of those. Best regards, David.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mr Hedden,

I hope there are no more problems with your Mac. Please take a minute to accept my answer, it is how the question is recognised as answered.

Many thanks,
David.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Hedden,

David here from the Preview issue you had. Can you please click Accept on my answer to show it was answered?? It is the only way I can be paid for answering the question.

Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,

David.