David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

THERE IS A BURN FILE ON MY HUSBAND'S MACBOOK PRO WHICH WE

Customer Question

THERE IS A BURN FILE ON MY HUSBAND'S MACBOOK PRO WHICH WE WISH TO BURN TO A 4.3 GB 16X SPEED COMPATIBLE DVD-R DISC. THE COMPUTER TELLS US THE DEVICE FAILED TO CALIBBRATE THE LASER POWER FOR THIS MEDIA. What type disc should I have in order to burn these images to a disc?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** Ill do everything I can to help with your question.

First click the Apple logo in the top left and About This Mac.

What does it say for version of Mac OS X? Processor?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I've seen this error quite a lot. There are a couple of things you can do with software to try fix it.

First thing to try is Software Update in the Apple menu, and update to the latest version of OS X.

Then reset the SMC. The way to reset is different depending on your version of MacBook Pro. Check this article to find the right way to reset the SMC.
http://support.apple.com/HT201295

This fixes it some of the time, but more often this is not enough. The problem is usually something on the lens of the disc burner. For this you can try a lens cleaner disc such as this one:
http://amzn.com/B00000J1QM

Also you could try a can of compressed air, and blow inside the drive slot, to try remove any dust. You could also try a rubber photographer blower. A lot of people have fixed it with this method.

So first try the software update, failing that try the SMC reset, finally try the cleaning options. Failing that you will need to look at replacing the optical drive. To double check you could try the blank DVDs in a known good burner, to compare.

Please feel free to reply with any questions on any part of my answer.

Kind regards, David.