Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My keyboard is not working properly on my MacBook Pro. I

Customer Question

My keyboard is not working properly on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded approximately 1800 pictures last evening on iPhoto. This morning I wasn't able to type anything on either the first or third row of letters. Now I am only able to type a P/p. I believe the function keys in the top row are working; the number row is not responding.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What year Macbook Pro is that? Also please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The year is 2011. System version is 10.6.8; processor is 2GHz Intel core 17. Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys. After restart see if the keys are working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The year is 2011. System version is 10.6.8.processor is 2GHz Intel core 17. Memori is 4GB 1333. MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes I got that did you see my reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did get your reply. I tried your suggestion--it didn't work.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks please let me know so I can continue.

Click on the first icon in the Dock (the list of icons at the bottom of your screen) which is the “face” the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Disk Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see verify disk.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the disk utility, but not repair permission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am signing off for the night, and will take the computer to the apple store. Thanks for your efforts.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

See here: