Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

I'm on an IMac running OS Yosemite. Since I have

Customer Question

I'm on an IMac running OS Yosemite. Since I have upgraded to this OS, my WD back up drive will not mount. I have been searching for a solution but I see people saying that it will never mount with this OS. Do I really have to throw away a perfectly good
drive?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

If the WD drive was connected to the iMac during the upgrade then it may have gotten corrupted.

Try connecting it to a Mac running an older version of OS X, or another Mac running OS Yosemite, and let me know if any of them recognize it. If it is not recognized by a Mac running an older version of OS X, then it is likely that it has been damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete - thanks but this doesn't help me. I need it to mount on my one and only Mac. Some forums are saying that it will never mount with Yosemite.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

These are the only tests that you can do. It will help to confirm if the data is recoverable, and if it is then you can try copying the data onto another Mac, reformatting the HD, and transferring the data back onto it again to see if that works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Thanks for trying to answer my question. I needed to know how to mount my external drive which failed to mount after installing OS Yosemite. I cannot connect my drive to an older version of OS nor do i know anyone with a Mac. That is not what I was asking anyway. This may be a system situation and not a corruption of the disc. For instance, When I wetn to systme 10 one upgrade ago, I had to throw out my nice Epson scanner. No driver was developed to make it work on the new system and I am speculating that this is happening again. I do not believe you helped me and I do not want to leave a rating. But thanks anyway.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

To answer you question again, you cannot mount this external HD to your Mac - you must either try using another Mac, or send it away to a data recovery service.

Let me know if you need any further assistance with this question.

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I had the money to send the disc away to a tech service I would have done so in the beginning. I am trying to get a solution for $20 or whatever you charge. I am going to eventually buy a new disc which will be cheaper than a tech service. Your answer did not help me - how do you know I cannot mount this disc? Anyway please end this conversation with me. No rating no feedback just goodbye and thanks anyway.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok goodbye.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do not charge me.