Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Old iPod stopped in middle of song, now it's a blinking

Customer Question

Old iPod stopped in middle of song, now it's a blinking Apple Logo and I can't get back to my music.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is the exact model of the iPod ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Please identify your exact iPod model from here and let me know, so I can send you correct instructions to fix it --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Since it is not booting, it indicates that the the iPod's firmware is corrupted. You have already tried to reset it and since that didn't work we will have to restore the iPod from iTunes on your computer by putting it to Disk Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here --> http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

After installing iTunes, open iTunes and connect the iPod to your computer with the USB cable. Then follow the steps below to put your iPod to Disk Mode.

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  3. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.

See this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201544

After putting it to Disk Mode, iTunes will ask you to restore it. Click Restore and let it complete.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iPod connected to computer and iTunes is launched, Apple Logo is on iPod screen, Apple logo goes off and on, off and on. Is the toggle the center button on wheel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iTunes is not asking to restore my iPod
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is the hold switch at the top.

Can you disconnect it from your computer and try to put it to Disk Mode ?

See this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxUlsmVGU4

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We need to get it to Disk mode then only iTunes will see it to restore it.

Please repeat the steps 2 and 3 and it should go in to Disk Mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it in Disk Mode. Screen shows a big check mark and below this it says "OK to disconnect"
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Great ! Connect it to your computer and open iTunes. Does it recognize it now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
screen appears and says OS X can not repair disk on Jerry Deverell's iPod
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Cancel that message. Open ITunes and do you see the iPod's icon at the top left ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Did you get that message you clicked Restore button in iTunes ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says to back up the disk and reformat as soon as possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the iPod icon does not appear upper left on iTunes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you see iPod disk in Finder ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Lets force the iPod to go into DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode and this should allow iTunes to restore it.

Connect the iPod to your computer and open iTunes. Then press and hold the Menu and Center buttons for 10-20 seconds and this will put it to DFU Mode. In DFU Mode, it will be blank. Does iTunes recognize it now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not see iPod in Finder
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my last message re DFU Mode ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it's best if I call you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I'm also working with other clients in here, so I will not be able to call you. The HDD of your iPod is corrupted. That is why it is not booting up. We need to restore the iPod.

Can you do these steps please ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
holding the menu and center button returned the Apple icon but iTunes still did not recognize my iPod
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a Windows computer there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no a Mac computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Lets format it manually. Put it to Disk Mode and your computer will show the corrupted message. Cancel it.

Then go to Applications > Utilties folder and open Disk Utility. Do you see the iPod in the left column of Disk Utility ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Didn't you get this error like before "screen appears and says OS X can not repair disk on Jerry Deverell's iPod" ?

Is there any way to get access to another computer ? I know it doesn't make any sense, but sometimes restoring from another computer will work (iTunes of that computer might recognize it)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry no other computer here I will get with my IT guy Monday to solve this mystery
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok, meantime you should keep trying. You will be able to restore it the moment iTunes recognize it. If you can see the iPod in Disk Utility, select it and click Erase. Make sure Mac OS Journaled (Extended) is selected before erasing it. After erasing, check iTunes and see if it recognize it.

If it still not working, then that means the HDD of your iPod has failed. I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. If you are not satisfied with my service, please don't rate me bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied.

You can contact JustAnswer support at***@******.*** for refund.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks my friend.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You're most welcome !