Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am unable to empty my trash and therefore running out of

Customer Question

I am unable to empty my trash and therefore running out of space. I have been exporting videos and photos to my external drive to free up space on my macbook pro. As I export, I delete but then when I go to trash, it shows nothing in my trash-- no deleted files, so all my exporting of files (primarily photos and videos) are not making ANY dent in my harddrive available storage
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

From which application are you exporting the photos and videos ?

I'm awaiting for your reply.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

From which application are you exporting the photos and videos ? iPhoto ?

I'm awaiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the photos library
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Are you using iPhoto ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No- when I bought my mac pro back in May, it had iPhoto but then when I updated software it disappeared and now have photos library.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In fact I was promoted to go back to iPhoto but then the application was unavailable to install
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was prompted, rather
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Apple has replaced iPhoto with new Photos app on the OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite and later version. iPhoto is no longer available. Apple removed it from their server.

Back to your question, the deleted photos and videos from the Photos app will not go to the Trash of your OS X. Rather it goes to Recently Deleted section of Photos. Did you delete them from there ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You will only gain space if you delete the photos and videos from the "Recently Deleted" section of Photos. In Photos, click on File menu and select Show Recently Deleted.

This will bring the Recently Deleted screen. If you see the deleted photos and videos from there, then delete them from there as well. Then only they will be deleted.

If they went to the Trash of OS X, empty the trash. Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- I deleted close to 4k photos and when I checked my storage, it only made a dent of almost 1gig
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only 1.47GB free of 120 GB
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The space you get depends up on the size of the photos. You won't gain much space from photos as the size varies from a few KB to a few MBs for a single photo.

Do you have any videos on Photos ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have videos but I've also transferred them to external drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You have a huge Photos Library. You should delete videos from your Photos app and also delete them from the Recently Deleted section.

May I ask, why don't you just transfer the Photos Library to the external hard drive and work directly from it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says I have almost 30 gigs of movies. I have no movies on my computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Videos in the Photos library might be considered as Movies. If you have videos in Photos Library, backup them to external drive and delete them from your Photos. You will get more space by deleting videos.

I want you to download this application and run it --> https://www.omnigroup.com/more

This application will tell what file is taking up the space. Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm unable to download
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What happens when you download ?

I see that you only have almost 1.3GB left. Please note that your Mac will crash if it doesn't have at least 10% of free space available to work the core system files.

I'd recommend to move your Photos Library from the internal storage to the external hard drive ASAP.

To do that, Close Photos. Then go to your home folder and open Pictures folder. You will find your Photos Library there. Just copy it to the external hard drive. Once it is copied successfully, you can delete the library from internal drive. Double check you copied it to external hard drive before deleting the copy from internal storage.

Then hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Photos. It will ask you to choose library or create new library. Select Choose Library and locate and select the photos library in the external hard drive. From now on, Photos will load and work directly from external hard drive.

If you see iPhoto Library in Pictures folder in your home folder, then make a backup to the drive and delete it as well. Empty the trash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Omgeee- that sounds super complicated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the middle of updating. I thought that might help- I wasn't able to update earlier due to hit enough space.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yay!!! I'm now at 46.24 GB free of soace
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With 39 GB being photos. I will try to export photos library later. How can I continue to chat about this issue later or tomorrow without having to pay agin?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not. All you have to do is open your Pictures folder in Finder (in home folder) and you will find the Photos Library there. Just copy it to the external hard drive.

Then delete it from the Pictures folder. So you will get that 54GB space.

Then hold down Option, open Photos and select choose library. Choose the Library from the external hard drive. That's it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear that. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me any time you want.

This question will never close.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to pay again if you get back to this page directly even after rating my answer. This question will never close until you wish to do so.

I'm also sending you a video re how to move library to external hard drive. Here it is --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6N2K_gRKsQ

The video is about iPhoto. But it is the exact same procedure for Photos.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to pay again. You can get back to this chat conversation at any time you want even after rating my answer. This question will never close until you wish to do so.