Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I can't view mail on my iPad 2. When I click on the Mail

Customer Question

Hello. I can't view mail on my iPad 2. When I click on the Mail icon, the page is blank and closes out after a few seconds.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the Mail application itself is corrupted. Sometimes it happens if there is any issue with the mailboxes/accounts. If it is the Mail application, then we have to restore your iPad from iTunes on your computer. Before doing that, we can do some troubleshooting steps on the iPad.

First reset the iPad. To reset, press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo (ignore slide to turn off message). When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. Check Mail. Does it work ?

If that didn't work, then it is possible that one of the email account is causing this issue. We need to find out which one is corrupted. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and you will see all the emails accounts there. Delete one email account and check Mail. If it still having issue, then delete all email accounts. Then add the email accounts one by one and check Mail after loading each one.

Please let me know if it still not working, so I can send you the instructions to restore the iPad from iTunes on your computer without losing your files.

Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned off mail for the one account I thought might be the problem (way too many emails in that account) and restarted the iPad, but that didn't work. Before I do anything major, I need to backup my iPad. I didn't previously have enough iCloud storage to do so, so I purchased more and it's backing up right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't actually tried resetting it (only restarted it), so once it finishes backing up, I will do so. Thank you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'd recommend to do a backup to iTunes on your computer. This will backup your entire iPad including the apps.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
Open iTunes application on your computer.
iTunes will recognize your iPad. Select your iPad in the top left (select iPad icon)
Then in Summary section, click Backup and make sure "To this computer" is selected.
This will backup the iPad to iTunes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You can also restore your iPad from iTunes if my above solutions doesn't work. Restoring the iPad will over write all old apps with fresh ones. So if the Mail application is corrupted, restoring will fix it.

Remember, after restoring, you can restore the iPad from the backup instead of setting up it as new one so you won't lose any data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is backing up to iTunes free and no storage limit? My iPad hasn't done an auto backup for months because my iCloud has been full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I re-read your above message, I'm thinking that if I backup through iTunes on my computer, the storage is only limited by how much room I have on my computer. Is that correct?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes and there is no storage limit. It will backup as long as you have free space on your computer. When you backup to iTunes, it doesn't use internet connection and also the backup is saved on the hard drive.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are correct. Backing up to iTunes will only take a few minutes where it might take hours when you backup to iCloud.

The backup can also be restored in a few minutes from iTunes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

iCloud backup is mainly for the people who doesn't use or have a PC with them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. I installed iTunes and will backup my iPad to my computer and go from there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know if you need any help