Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I sell used computers, i buy them as 'not working; and fix

Customer Question

I sell used computers, i buy them as 'not working; and fix them and resell them.
Recently i bought a batch of macbook pro's, it is the first time i am doing it with macs. I am trying to figure out how to reinstall a operating system.
A few of them came with hard drives but most dont. How does it work with macs? Can i download a iso from the internet and install it on a mac?
Where do i download it? How about the software licence? Is the only way to reinstall through the recovery utility that downloads it from apple direct?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

You can purchase OS X Snow Leopard from the Apple store (similar to the ISO approach)

Take a look at this article on how to create a bootable USB OS: http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What i do with windows is, that i take a laptop that works. Take out the hard drive and clone it. Then install it on the one that doesn't have an operating system. Once there, i run the recovery utility and reset to factory state. What happens is that windows will verify the license from the bios, therefore it will be a genuine copy of windows. I am not sure this works on all manufacturers but it definitely worked on ASUS. Will this approach work on apple also? Because lets say i have one working laptop and then clone all from there....
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can clone your Mac hard drive and make it bootable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got it
So let's say I got one working MacBook, I clone that drive and install it in the other one. How do I make that it should have the original operating system that it had?
Please note that I have like 30 MacBook pro's but they are not all the same, some are 15inch and some are 13inch and they range from mid 2010 to mid 2011 models. Will I have to download drivers for the differences in the hardware?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

The cloning software will clone everything for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. which cloning software do you recommend?
2. Cloning will clone it exactly, what if i have a MBP 2010 13" And a MBP 2011 15", It has different hardware, how is it going to work?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great software tool. Click here: https://bombich.com/

To answer your second question:

If you have an Intel Mac you can boot from either an Intel cloned drive or a PPC cloned drive.

If you have a PPC Mac you will not be able to boot from an Intel Mac clone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that all the macs i have are intel, because they are all from after 2010, correct?
Also, you didn't answer my question regarding, how will i take care of the differences in hardware between all the macs i have?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Correct -- they all have Intel so it will work for all of them. To answer your question about the hardware, there should be no need to install any drivers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how does it have the correct drivers? if the clone and cloned to are different models?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

The OS comes preloaded with drivers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how macbook air? can i clone from macbook pro to an air?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also does macbook 2008 run on intel?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the 2008 runs on Intel.