Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My imac is crashing at startup after doing a java upgrade I

Customer Question

Hi my imac is crashing at startup after doing a java upgrade
I have tried to reinstall Yosemite but it takes 28hours to load the 5.6GB and then dies just before the end of the reinstall - have tried the backup from time machine whic takes 60+ hours and this also fails before completing (usually 1 hour before). I have another mac which I can connect to via thunderbolt cable and have been successful i.e. can see all imac files on the macbook but I dont know how to boot from the host to the target so that imac will work again, then I can restore from previous back up on time machine without issue (takes a lot less time)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, done all that - verified as all OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently trying to restore again from time machine - 9 hours remaining....
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know. I would have erased the drive reinstalled and then restored from the backup but anyway...