Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I've got iMovie 8 and have used it successfully but just a

Customer Question

Hi, David. I've got iMovie 8 and have used it successfully for years but just a couple of days ago it stopped responding. I've tried going to Library, preferrences, then taking out the com.apple.imovie8 file and that allows a bit of progress but all the functions are gone ... no side slider bars, no advanced tools useage. ??? What can I do, this was a kids project and when I was working with special effects and sounds it seems like that's when it bite the dust.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! If after deleting the plist file you still have issues with the iMovie then imovie.app is corrupt and will need to be reinstalled. Your mac should of came with 2 gray disks. One disk will say osx the other will say applications. Use the applications DVD to reinstall iMovie. Without the disks we will not be able to reinstall iMovie. If you cannot find the disks then we will either have to buy a newer version or use a friend/family members application disks ( this works about 50% of the time ).

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If you go to iMovie / Preferences / General check the box Show Advanced tools, also you should remove all of these then restart before doing that:

In Macintosh HD / Library/Preferences:

All the files with

iLife.plist in the name

In your user Library:

com.apple.imovie.plist
com.apple.imovie.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.imovie8.plist

Please accept the remote tech support if you want me to try to reinstall your iMovie application for you thanks.