Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro. It has been working perfectly

Customer Question

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro. It has been working perfectly but all of a sudden the keyboard and mouse stopped working. I purchased a external keyboard and mouse and it works fine. Can someone help me get my internal mouse and keyboard to work again
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
Can you do this as the first step please.
Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the built in keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.
Let it start and tell me if it now functions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trees it but did not work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it will likely be the ribbon cable thats at fault that controls these two components..
Can you attempt this please
Booted into OSX with a USB keyboard and mouse
Plugged in the power cable
Removed the battery
Whilst pressing the caps lock key on continuously (on the laptop keyboard), I gently pressed the ribbon cable and test if the keyboard works.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't understand these two:Booted into OSX with a USB keyboard and mouse
And : gently pressed the ribbon cable and test if the keyboard works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which one is the ribbon cable for the keyboard
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The USB keyboard and mouse is what you now have connected so leave these connected.
When you remove the battery you will see the ribbon cable set there, its this I want you to press on and then see if the onboard keyboard then works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do this while the laptop is on?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
please, as its the only way to see if the cable is at fault. Nearly always they warp due to heat and need to be GENTLY pushed back in.
You need to do this very carefully. If you are not comfortable doing this, you can have the Apple Store do this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok under the batter is the track pad
not sure which is for the keyboard
can you add a photo or illustration
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I dont have one available but push down on the ribbon cables you see as this will seat them all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which one is it. I pushed down on all of them
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The short one in the middle.

Once doing this, is the keyboard now working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, no not working still
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

It is the controller on the mainboard that has faulted.

It can just be the cable but this is not the case.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the macbook to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you