Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have an older version of Safari which came with the

Customer Question

I have an older version of Safari which came with the MacBook portable. The browser arrows have disappeared and I have to use the "back" feature to scroll forward and backward. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome t o Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

It sounds like we need to run a quick repair, and then reset safari

So lets start with this repair.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

And while that is running, lets reset safari.

There is a nice visual guide on this page. Please follow steps 1-3

http://georgetasioulis.com/how-to-restore-default-settings-on-safari-mac-os-x-lion/

Once thats done, safari should be appearing, and working normally again. If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The repair suggested (repair plus 3 steps) did nothing. Safari still has no forward or backward arrows. It is not the same version that came with computer 8 years ago. As far as the other suggestions go they are far and above my capacity both in computer savvy and patience. Your effort is appreciated but the repair failed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Question though. When you clicked safari, reset safari, and checked all the boxes. Were you able to complete that reset at least?

If so, then we should now be able to add the buttons again. Heres how. With safari open.

Go to the Safari menu: View/Customize Toolbar, and drag the back/forward button to your toolbar. That should do the trick!

Dustin S.