Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just updated my mac with an update and some security

Customer Question

I just updated my mac with an update for safari and some security settings. Now when I get to the login screen and I enter my password ***** goes to a white screen and then back to the login screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK start by doing this, if you can't restart just hold the power button for about 10 seconds to shut down:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already repaired the disk and disk permissions and no luck.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK then go to Recovery HD again but choose Terminal then type

resetpassword

Then hit Return

choose your account and make a new password

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know get a screen that says Internet recovery this might take awhile……I am not liking this situation just from trying to update safari and some security settings.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK if you got to Internet Recovery it is worse that I thought just do that if Verify Disk was ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its gone through the internet recovery now. I changed the password ***** It is rebooting.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same thing again. I enter the password ***** goes to a white screen and then right back to the login screen.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you change the password ***** the Terminal after or before you did Internet Recovery? Do you have a backup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed it after the internet recovery. I have not backed up in a few weeks as I have not been in my office for while due to traveling.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok I would have waited to see firstt but try it again

Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! If changing the password ***** not work then the issue is related to your OSX. You can reinstall the osx by following the steps below. This will not delete your personal files. If you have any questions I can call you but you will have to decline the current extra services sent to you.

1. turn off mac
2. Locate/push CMD (command key) and R keys
3. Turn on mac while still holding the keys from step 2
4. Select reinstall OSX.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
try resetting the password *****?

Follow what was posted before

1. turn off mac
4. Select reinstall OSX.

Then you can attempt to change the password ***** but your OSX has an issue for sure.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Another expert is telling you the same thing please try the reset and if that does not work you will need to erase the hard drive and reinstall then restore from your backup. Please rate only the expert who helps you.

Boot to Recovery HD open the Disk Utility choose Macintosh HD and the Erase tab and Erase. Then quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X. You can at least work until you can get to your backup then use the Migration Assistant to recovery your account.

Also reinstalling the OSX is not the same as changing the password ***** using disk utility.If you erase then all your info will be gone and the last few weeks will not be in your backup.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not interested in erasing my hard drive. I cannot afford to lose the last few weeks of my work. Too important. Must be another way guys.

I understand follow the steps i posted as i stated before this will not delete your data. Following the other experts advice will delete your data.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
All you can do then is keep trying to reset the password, reinstall if it will let you or do the Internet Recovery again sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it says "You can't upgrade this version of Mac OS X because a newer version is installed"
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Try running the Disk Utility again and then try reinstall if that does not work, keep trying to reset the password ***** I think your only option it to erase, sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried booting in Safe Mode which worked. Then restarted the computer and it is working fine. Possibly a corrupted cache from the security update that was corrected when I started in safe mode.Whatever it was it has worked now and computer running fine again.Perhaps another troubleshooting tip for future issues similar to mine.

No worries our questions are public and will note that this helped. Thank you for using just answer! :)

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes since it went to Internet Recovery I didn't think to try that you stll have problems if you could not reinstall so get a good back when you can thanks.