Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I have an iPhone 5s. Up until yesterday I could send texts.

Customer Question

I have an iPhone 5s. Up until yesterday I could send texts. I can not now. I have reset network settings. And tried everything. I even used my Apple ID and password ***** the settings. Nothing is working
Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me what happens when you try and send a text?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The send button is green instead of blue like it use to be when sending to other iPhones And messages are in green color
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like iMessage has been disabled. Please do the following to turn iMessage back on:

1) Tap Settings -> Messages

2) At the top of the screen you'll see "iMessage". Please make sure this is enabled.

If it is already enabled or your problem is still not resolved, please let me know and I will see what else we might check to get this working. Thanks again,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and it says waiting for activation. It says use your Apple ID for iMessages. I went and used my user name and password ***** my apple accounts which is my email. It still does not work
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

I've had this issue before when attempting to activate over WiFi. Can you try turning off your WiFi network under Settings and try to activate again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears both my email and phone came up during activation. It would not Let me check my phone number and now it's saying using my email to use iMessages. I do not want to use my email for iMessages only my phone number
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

When you go to Settings -> Messages, there's a list under "Send & Receive" that allows you to select/de-select your phone # ***** emails to use for iMessage. You can de-select your email if you do not want to use your email for iMessage. Also make sure that your phone number is ***** under "Start new conversations from" (on the same "Send & Receive" screen) so that messages are sent by default from your phone number. Let me know if you have any issues setting that. Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not showing up in setting, messages. The only thing I have on the screen is iMessage, MMS messaging, character count and blocked
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like iMessage is still turned off then. Once turned on you should see all of those options. Can you restart your phone and try turning iMessage on again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. It still does not show up in iMessages
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Does the iMessage option show as enabled now or is it still off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got to that screen. It will not let me highlight or select my phone #. There is no start new conversation . All it says is Apple ID. Which is my email
Then u can be reached at. My phone # ***** email. My email is highlighted. Tried to delete it. It will not allow this and it will not let me highlight my phone number
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to get to the screen under Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive? If so, you should touch the Apple ID at the top of the page and tap Sign Out, then go to the same screen to sign in. Once you're signed back in, try selecting your phone number to enable it for iMessage again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried this and it did not work. Could it have something to do with my ipad being synced with my iPhone? My messaging works in ipad under my email for some reason also. Tried the same procedures to deleted email off of ipad too and it will not let me
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
It's unlikely related to also using iMessage on your iPad. Although your iPad will have to use email since there is no phone number associated with the device. This should work. Can you sign out of iMessage and also from iCloud under settings -> iCloud and then reset your network settings from settings -> general. Once that is done, sign back in from iMessage with wifi disabled and see if that helps. Let me know how you make out. Thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will still not let me delete the email for iMessages
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to use your phone number on your iPhone now though? Once that is solved I'll be more confident that other settings can work without issues. If you're looking to delete an email from iMessage, you can go to Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive -> touch the (i) icon next to the email and tap "Remove This Email".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone # ***** but still will not let me remove email for iMessages
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Ok good. So what happens when you try to remove one of the email addresses using the instructions I provided earlier? There's no harm in having the email there as long as the default is set to your phone number. If just means that others can send iMessages to the email you have listed, but sending will be done using your phone number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't even let me click on my phone # ***** default
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I try and send, the send is green and messages are green when sending to iPhones
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! If there is a issue with your network settings ( which seems to be whats going on here) then we will have to do a special kind of restore that starts you over ( but wont delete your info as that is saved on icloud).

1. Plug your iPhone into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Turn off the iPhone.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
  4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
  5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Make sure the iPhone's screen is blank and no logos are present

Restore with itunes. **********IMPORTANT STEP********* After you finish restoring itunes will ask you if you want to restore information from a back up or setup as a new phone. Click setup as new. Then once your iphone has finished it setup process log into icloud ( from the settings app) and let it restore all your info. That should clear your error.