Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My MacBook Air keyboard and trackpad are not working

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
When did this problem start ? Did you spill any liquid on it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started an hour ago. No liquid was spilled on it. When restarted, pointer arrow is in upper left corner. A USB mouse works tho but trackpad and keyboard do not. When restarted, I get message that Bluetooth keyboard not found
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The message re bluetooth indicates that the computer is not recognizing the built in keyboard and trackpad.
We can try two hardware resets.
First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down your Mac
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down for 5 seconds.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Does it recognize your keyboard and trackpad ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither step worked. I tried each twice
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you get a USB keyboard, so we can try the resets with it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have usb keyboard at home
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Is there any way to get one ?
Do this please. Force turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds. Unplug everything from your Mac including the power adapter and mouse. Leave it there for 1 hour and this will cool down all components of your Mac and also reset some components.
After that, restart and immediately hold down Shift key and does it recognize the keyboard/mouse ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is midnight here. Can't get one. I will force shut down, unplug, let it sit an hour to cool down. Then I will boot it up and then yell at it for not working and take it to APPLE store tomorrow and expect to pay $300USD. Everything done so far was in Mac forums
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry, but the only options we have is SMC and PRAM reset. Cooling down your Mac works sometimes. We will not be able to further troubleshooting without a external keyboard and mouse.
There is a easy way to understand whether it is an software issue or hardware issue. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time and if it boots into Mac OS X Utilities screen, then it is a software issue.
If it doesn't then it is an hardware issue and need to be physically repaired.
I'm really sorry that I couldn't give you a better answer. This is something that we can't fix online.
Since I couldn't solve your problem, you don't have to pay me. You can contact or email to***@******.*** to get full refund.
Please don't rate the answer bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything and you will get full refund.