Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Wy does my iMac DVD player give unsupported disk message on

Customer Question

Wy does my iMac DVD player give unsupported disk message on disks that have played before. Tried several disks. Player just ejects after 30 seconds. Blank disks are OK and asks what I want to do wit the blank disk
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems like I read that it could think I have the wrong region for my disks. How can I check where the software thinks I am located. Why else would a disk be unsupported that once played fine on this machine?
Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.

You might have changed your region more than 5 times. Once it has been changed more than 5 times it will be set to that region until you reset your whole computer. As a good alternative you can use VLC to play your dvds.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Use the link above and follow directions to install it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never changed the region, but I would like to know how it is done, or at least check to see if it is not correct, before trying alternate solutions. I have loaded VLC earlier, but Finder never sees the drive or the disk in the drive, so I could not figure how to make VLC even "see" my DVD or the drive. Let's first try to get the drive to appear in Finder, then see the DVD in the drive. Recall that I said that a data cd/DVD can be seen and the OS asks what if I want to open a folder on that disk. TY
Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.
Lets try two things.
If you installed the VLC 32 bit version try install the 64 bit and vice versa.
I've been told that VLC may or may not cause the DVD drive to act that way.
The other thing is I want to try to reset your PRAM follow the below instructions.
You reset the PRAM by rebooting a Mac and then immediately hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys, you will then hear the Mac reboot sound again, signifying your PRAM has been reset. You must hit the key combination before the gray screen appears otherwise it won’t work."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already reset the PRAM earlier in a call with Apple support. They told me that I needed to take it to the Genius Bar. They showed me that the data cd was recognized and suggested that I get an OEM external DVD drive or pay them $150 to replace the internal drive. I don't want to spend too much more, but if you promise that you can fix it for $15 more, I will accept that. But, if it is not fixed, I think I should get a full refund.
Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.
I can't guarantee it. And I'm not sure if a refund is possible. If the guys at genius bar believe a replacement is needed I will opt out. maybe another expert may have a little more insight or give you a guarantee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have recommended that I reset the PRAM which I already did, and that I load VLC which I already did. Not sure what the initial charge is for. I thought I was supposed to be happy with the assistance before I was charged. I can take that up with the office tomorrow, if you prefer.
Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.

No worries. You won't be charged until you accept and fully happy with the answer. I would attempt to make it work with VLC but I can't guarantee it will work.

Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to release this question to other experts and see if they have any other ideas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** and buying an external OEM drive, I would prefer the External drive if it will operate like the internal with control on the screen such as eject/play/stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apple has told me that those drives exist by OEM and cost about $80
Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.

I don't think it will cost that much for a third party external dvd drive. One thing is that you should buy one that is Mac compatible. most of those drives will only have the eject button and no play or stop

Expert:  tonyng1 replied 1 year ago.

If you have an Apple Store nearby I would suggest them to help you do a hardware check. I honestly don't think it is a hardware issue since it read data disk fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think it is a hardware problem, and they told me how much it costs to replace it. I just would like to know the reasons that a user gets the unsupported disk message when the disk has been played in the past on the machine. I think it is the region parameter, but no one will tell me how to confirm this, or how to reload or reset the DVD player
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Do you have this problem with commercial DVDs ?
What about home DVDs, like Data DVD, Music/Mp3 DVD etc ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
data cd/DVD works fine. commercial DVD will not mount, gives me a unsupported disk message, ejects the disk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no home DVD recordings to try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What causes the unsupported disk message. I only know of region mismatch, but I have never changed a region, and these disks have played on this drive before.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Trying a home recorded DVD will tell us the exact issue.
Since it is with the commercial DVDs, I believe you are right, the issue is related to region settings in DVD Player.
Since they played before it is possible that the preferences files of DVD Player got corrupted and that is what causing the problem.
So lets reset the DVD Player first and then change the region.
In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Preferences folder and trsah com.apple.dvdplayer.plist and com.apple.dvdplayer.plist.lockfile
Then open DVD Player, Choose File > Get Disc Info and click Regions. What is the region set there ?
Let me know the resulst please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
commercial music cd plays with no problem
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The firmware of the internal DVD drive are region locked. It will check whether the disc matches the region set. If not, it will show that aforementioned error. Apple designed it way. Can you do the steps above and see if you are on correct region ?
There is a chance that the DVD PLayer preferences files got corrupted, so try my above suggestion and let me know the results please.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
FYI Most of the Non OEM external DVD drives are region free. Meaning, they support any discs from any region. You don't need to buy a $150 internal drive.
Even the cheap $20 external DVD drive should work. There are many out there like Sony, Samsung, Verbatim which are very cheaper than Apple.
Don't buy the Apple Super Drive. It will not work.
Now I want you to do the following. Go to System Preferences > Hardware CDs and DVDs
Set 'Ignore' to When you insert a video DVD. This should prevent the disc from reading automatically and thus getting the error. Once you did that, put the disc in. Then launch VLC player and select File.. Open Disc and does it recognize the DVD ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I trashed the files as you suggested. There is no option to GET DISK INFO in the DVD player. AND, my music cd will not eject from the drive now, even after restarting the computer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just restart your Mac and immediately hold down left mouse button for 10 seconds and it will force eject the disc.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Please do this and let me know the results. Go to System Preferences > Hardware CDs and DVDs
Set 'Ignore' to When you insert a video DVD. This should prevent the disc from reading automatically in DVD Player. Once you did that, put the DVD in. Then launch VLC player and select File.. Open Disc and does it recognize the DVD ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the IGNORE option set all day. The disk does not stay in the drive, it never appears on Finder and never acknowledged by DVD Player. I do not have VLC and do not want it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
VLC is the best player out there which can play almost all video formats where the DVD Player can't. Please download and check with it. You can download it from here --> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
We need to prevent DVD Player from launching automatically. So go to Applications folder and trash DVD Player. DO NOT empty the trash.
Now insert the disc and does it eject automatically ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drag the DVD player to the trash, and the trash looks ready to accept it. But it is still there in the applications folder after I drop it in the trash
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Right click on DVD Player application and select Get Info. In Get Info window, under Permission and Settings, you will see some users. Change their permission o "Read and Write" for all users under Privilege. Then close it and trash it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not get that option on Right Click
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In Applications select DVD Player, press Control and click on it and you will get that pop up menu with Get Info and several other options.
If not, select DVD Player and press Command and I and this will bring Get Info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i get an option window when I right click with options like Half Size, actual size, double size but no Get Info
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you not in Applications folder ?
In Finder open Applications folder. Don't open DVD Player. Instead right click or control click on DVD Player icon and select Get Info. Or press Command I
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
See a sample pic of the menu --> https://odhelp.blob.core.windows.net/content/articles/Images/Article583-1.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not happen when I right click on the DVD player icon in the Application folder. Nothing displays. I am not sure how to do the other option. AM I clicking the mouse when I do Command I?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Either you select the DVD Player application, then hold down Control key and click on it and this will show that menu.
Or select the DVD Player application and press Command and I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, DVD Player is in the trash
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Put in the DVD to the drive and does it get ejected automatically ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it still ejects automatically
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The means the issue is with the firmware of the drive not with the operating system. Lets try some troubleshooting.
Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
Then reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.
Wait 20 seconds seconds.
Attach the power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down your Mac
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am doing all of this with the DVD player in the trash?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can put it back to Applications folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change after all this. My computer is running very slowly now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Those steps are not supposed to affect the performance of your Mac. In fact, running the Disk Utility will fix the hard drive which makes the performance better.
When you repair with Disk Utility, did you get any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No repair was required after the verify
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does no one know, google or you, why the "Supported Disk not available" message is sent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never seen the option to select the region that some mention on google search
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
OK, turn off your Mac. Turn it back on while holding down Shift key and this will boot into Safe Mode.
It will take time a few minutes to boot into Safe Mode. Let me know if the discs are getting ejected in Safe mode.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That message will only appear if you insert a region specific disc and you have 5 chances to change region. Then it will be locked to last set region. If you didn't get that option that means you have not changed the region. This seems like a firmware issue with the DVD drive. Is there any way to get an external DVD drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot believe that the solution to this problem is to never use the drive again. I have never had this option on a drive that is still able to read data disks. Not even from a Windows machine. Wow!! Sorry, cannot be fixed even though there is nothing wrong with it. Sorry!!!! :/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A company should not be able to get away with this in these times.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry, but I've tried everything I could. This is not an issue with your OS X. I believe the issue is with the drive as its firmware got corrupted somehow.
Since I couldn't solve your problem, you don't have to pay. You can contact***@******.*** for refund.
I will also opt out and open this question to other experts in here. Please don't rate me bad or poor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell support that I deserve a refund. I have no reason to rate you poorly, but I did not get any resolution, so I do not know what I would pay for. Thank you anyway!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I will request JustAnswer to refund your account since I couldn't solve your problem. You don't have to rate anything.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.