Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Just wanted your advice on the message "Microsoft Excel

Customer Question

Just wanted your advice on the message "Microsoft Excel cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Microsoft Excel works with this version of Mac OS X. You many need to reinstall the application."
I have a 2009 MacBookPro laptop. updated to Yosemite 10.10 and had to clean out my startup disk for memory space. Any advice is welcomed.
I also took our the Safari and now using Chrome.
Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! the first thing to do is check to make sure you do not have any updates pending.

click the apple icon

then select software update

do all updates listed

If Excel still does not work we will need to reinstall it from the original disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done.
Still have the same message.
I also do not have my original disk. It has been misplaced. is there another way to reinstall without disk?

Sorry to hear that but as with all programs if the applications becomes corrupt it will need to be reinstalled ( either from disk or if purchased online through a download link).

We can try one thing just to make sure

From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

•Locate and remove to the Trash, this file.
com.Microsoft.office.excel.plist

Then restart your mac

and try to open office again.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go here and put in your Office 2011 key and download the product:
https://www2.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/macdl/registerkey.aspx?culture=en-us&ref=macdl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not find Library folder in Home. But did find it when I search for it in "this mac". In the folder has only fontcollections folder. In this folder it reads "Windows Office Compatible.collections".
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then hold Option and click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Library. In Preferences folder trash anything that starts with com.microsoft.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.
Is com.mircosoft.excel.plist the same as com.microsoft.office.excel.plist?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Just trash them all

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If that doesn't work you can download Office with your key using the link below and reinstall I would check your drive first:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,Been trying to find my key. Bought a disk in 2008, upgraded to 2011. Lost disk and cannot find online upgrade. Darn. Is there anyway I can recover my key...
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Can you open any Office app?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Also make sure you check the disk following the instructions above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, cannot open any office app.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
downloading MAU now
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the disk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
verified and repair permissions are go
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
downloaded and installed MAU. Is there another step? I tried to open an excel file and same message.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

You have to run it to check for Updates

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

In Finder select go / Go to Folder it is here:

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autoinstaller said that we are missing Microsoft messenger 8.0.2. Installing it now.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If that does not work you will have to uninstall using this tool:

http://www.fixkb.com/2011/06/completely-uninstall-microsoft-office.html

Then reinstall with the download or the disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k. do I need the code key to reinstall?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

To download too so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

You may just want to upgrade to the new one at this point

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You can get the free Preview of Office 2016 here:
https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2016-preview
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike,I hear you. It is pretty frustrating for me right now and driving me nuts. Let me think of my options and get back with you.
I need to get on the road. Can we continue tomorrow?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes but there is nothing I can do about your serial key... You need it to reinstall and that is the only thing that will fix it.. if you know where you purchased it they will at least have a record of the purchase you can take to Microsoft but the free Preview is good for 30 days

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Sorry the link didn't take:

You can get the free Preview of Office 2016 here: https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2016-preview