Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a macbook air. Automatic updates. across the top of

Customer Question

I have a macbook air. Automatic updates.
across the top of the page-yellow bar- critical update needed. I didn't do it. Never seen that before.
My Safari browser is non existent at this point.
I am sitting at our local library on their internet. Tried to download safari. A window appeared telling me the request was blocked by the Sonicwall Gateway Anti-Virus Service.
I assume this is for the library's protection.
Just not sure where to turn at this point.
Without purchasing a new router at home, (long story), I do not know the PW of the browser I had in another state.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
The message you are getting on your Mac's Safari is a SCAM. Don't download anything from them or don't pay anything.
Turn on your Mac. If Safari is frozen, press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit window. Select Safari and click Force Quit. This will close Safari.
Then disconnect the WiFi from your Mac (or disconnect the internet/airport),) hold down Shift key on your keyboard and and open Safari (while holding down shift key) and the webpage will not load. Click on Safari menu and select Reset Safari. Select all options and click Reset Safari.
If you don't see Reset Safari, then click on Safari menu and select History and Website Data
Connect it back to WiFi. This will get rid of all traces of that website.
Then download, run and scan your Mac with this application, Malwarebytes ---> https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/
This will find and remove all adwares/malwares from your Mac if any.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you any difficulty on following the steps, please let me know and I will walk you through it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm just following up with you to see how it is going. If you have any difficulty, please let me know and I'm happy to continue to help you.