Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a MacBook Air and it will not let me log in without

Customer Question

I have a MacBook Air and it will not let me log in without being on internet. But I can not get it to hook up to wifi without loggin
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify? Is it connect to the Internet now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not let me log in without being connected to the wifi for some reason
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK after you login go to System Preferences / Users & Groups choose your account then on the right select Change Password ***** then select Use Separate Password ***** create a new one that is not your Apple ID

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get passed the log in screen to do anything. It will not met me
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK that is what I meant by clarify I am unlcear.... If you ARE connected to WiFi will it then let you log in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am connected then it will let me log in. I am at home and I can't get it to recognize my home wifi. At school it will and no problem. So I am unable to get beyond the first screen
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Or just hold the power button for 10 seconds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I don't know how to explain the problem. But that pulled up a lock screen
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Please try again make sure you hold Command’ + R’ keys right after you hear the startup chime and keep holding them

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Or try this: Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.