Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I have a no entry sign on my iMac when I start it up

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean no login screen?
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! that sign means your mac cannot find its osx. Follow the steps below to fix this issue.

1. turn off mac
2. Locate CMD and R keys
3. Turn on mac holding the keys from step 2
4. use disk utility to repair hard drive. Then reset.
5. if issue still persists follow steps 1-3 then select reinstall OSX.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If you do no get to the login screen:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions then quit Disk Utility and Reinstall Mac OS X.

As i stated when i replied use disk utility then reinstall if the issue persist.