Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

My Ipad keeps telling me to log into Icloud and it does not

Customer Question

My Ipad keeps telling me to log into Icloud and it does not give me any opportunity to change any other settings. The Icloud settings areas is grayed out!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
Can you go to General > Restrictions > And allowe changes to accounts
Then tell me please if it is still greyed out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard...

Am allowing changes but in Icloud area all is greyed out except Delete Account... Icloud box pops up every 3-5 secs

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, choose Delete account
Then add the account again there
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It asked me to enter my password ***** my Apple ID....I did that, but verification failed as there is no internet connection.... Presently there are no internet connection present and the Icloud box keeps popping up so regular, it prevents me from trying to set one up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you hold the power and home button for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo, then release.
Let the iPad restart and tell me if you still get the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard...Yes...still there...the Icloud box keeps popping up and the second it does, it stops any other function, so it knocks of other functions

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are you able to go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset Settings and run this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That Icloud box is a pain...but eventually (I think) reset as the apple logo came up and a line appear across the screen for a while, but I still have the dam box popping up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you need to do a total reset as the firmware has corrupted.
We should have been able to of resigned into iCloud.
This is going to remove all data from the iPad and return it to new, but this we cannot avoid sorry.
To do the reset.
On the iPad go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and reset settings.
Let this complete and when it has, you can then setup the iPad again and it should now be ok.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried...it asked for password ***** then said verification failed as the internet connection appears to be offline

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we need to then do it via the computer
To do the reset
Connect the iPad to the computer and open itunes
Hold the power and home button down until you see
"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."
Click Restore iPad, let this complete and it should now work
Let me know the results please
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard...did what you said... the box with serial number and Ipad recovery mode came up...and there are two options... update and restore ipad. The immediately another box comes on top of that and this say "there is a problem with the ipad "ipad that requires it to be updated or restored...then gives the same options.... I chose the restore and then it starts a process...telling me it will update and restore..it now shows software update downloading and looks like it will take 4 hours???

What happens if the battery runs out in this time???... think I had 25%

Derek

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It wont run out as its getting power from the computer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay....looks like this will take a while...will come back to you as soon as its finished??

Derek

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Derek
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard

Somethings keeps happening...after a short period, the ipad reboots and starts beeping - do I stop the process and start???

The first time I just held the buttons and the computer picked it up and said it was download the update...but should this be happening??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No this should not be happening.
What progress is it up to now for the restore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The download is about quarter of the way,,,,saying 3 hours remaining...the ipad has rebooted and at the opening screen and keeps beeping

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is pointing to the internal memory as being the issue here Derek.
If its beeping then something is wrong.
disconnect it then repeat the restore procedure we just did.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Ipad stops beeping immediately when disconnected from the laptop. but starts immediately when I plug it in again, so I restarted the ipad and plugged it in but it beeps immediately

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you try to now restore it like we did before, does the restore start again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is starting the process again...

What shall I do if it starts beeping again??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
we will deal with that if it occurs.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard...

Beeping has started again...what do I do??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
It is the internal memory that has faulted in the iPad.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the iPad to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard

...the ipad is at least 3 years old...so no warranty...does that mean that t5he Ipad is no longer any good??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That's correct sorry Derek, this type of problem cannot be repaired, so you would need to purchase a replacement sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Richard

I Just thought I would update you on the situation with the Ipad. After speaking with you yesterday I went to a drinks party and got talking to a chap there who funnily enough had the same problem some months back and he tried to restore it, however every time he got a little way in, the Ipad just kept beeping, (exactly like mine) so he took it to work with him for one of the "lads" there to play about with and within a few hours had it fixed... The lad just recharged the Ipad (using the right charger) and then restored it. Now this rung a few bells as I just use the same charger for Ipod, Ipad.... thinking whats the difference, so first thing this morning I went and got a new charger and stuck it on.... got it fully charged... Now I cannot recall ever seeing the Ipad at 100% for months...stuck it in recovery mode and went for the restoration..... and hey presto... I have got my Ipad back... Happy about that. It does seem that over a period of time by not fully charging the battery, it had an adverse effect on the ipad. It does not however explain why the Icloud box kept popping up, but I have disabled most of the stuff in that function now...particularly the find my phone option, as that was preventing me from doing a lot of stuff. Whats your take??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so you were using the wrong charger!! Did not think of that as you should really always use the correct charger.
If it was not getting to 100% then this makes complete sense.
It explains it as the iPad was not getting the correct voltage and this causes issues with the internal components, so your going to get strange behavior as the memory plays up, sensors ect.
Always, for any electrical device, use the correct chargers, this is critical. And never use cheap Chinese ones or chargers from other devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just something that is taken for granted... on further investigation, I have a charging station...well a desk where all the charging goes on cameras, batteries, ipods, ipads etc... and don't really look at the actual chargers.. could have saved me a lot of grief that....well lesson learnt. On the other hand, the Icloud has its uses and then again Undecided... Anyways...thanks Richard!!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your most welcome Derek!
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you