Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I bought a ipad mini from e-Bay and when I try to activate

Customer Question

I bought a ipad mini from e-Bay and when I try to activate it, it's asking for a icloud user name and password. The seller never mentioned it was Icloud locked and when I questioned him he said that it belonged to his friend and he was unavailable. I would like to know if this mini is stolen and if it's not how can I unlock it legally.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

There is no way around the iCloud lock -- It could be stolen or the owner never completely reset the iPad. I would suggest that you contact the seller and let them know that you would like a refund if they are not going to provide you with the information to have it unlocked. The iCloud lock is a security precaution and it cannot be bypassed without the actual password. I would remind the seller that you will dispute the sale and leave negative feedback which should make the seller try to resolve the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did that and the seller agreed to refund my money but I had put 120.00 dollars into fixing the Ipad and he wouldn't refund that even with the receipt.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

That is difficult because the seller is not obligated to reimburse you for out of pocket expenses even though it was because you were trying to fix his mistake. The only thing that you can do is to let them know that you would leave negative feedback but they are not obligated or required to refund the $120 that you spend out of pocket. What I would suggest that you do is, take the refund from the eBay seller and contact your bank to dispute the $120 that you spent with the company since it did not work or you can contact that company to ask for a refund.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.

Please take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.