Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

I wish to restart my Mac, but Word won't quit. I have

Customer Question

I wish to restart my Mac, but Word won't quit. I have force-quit it a number of time, but it won't let go. Yet in my menu bar it shows it to be off (no up arrow). I have gone to the app itself in my Finder, and attempted to open it that way but it is also
unresponsive. What do I do now? I need Word, but it is neither open nor closed. Is there a way to reboot, like the old Macs by holding down certain keys at Restart?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it let you click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on Restart?

Can you please press and hold the Power On/Off button for about 15 seconds, then turn it back on and check?

If that does not work, please press and the same time the 3 keys CommandControlPower on your keyboard in order to restart the computer.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of those worked (Safari interrupted restart). I will quit Safari, and try again

I'm sorry, is this a laptop or desktop? When you press at the same time the 3 keys Command ⌘ + Control ⌃ + Option ⌥

, what happens?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Laptop

How about pressing at the 3 keys Command, Control, and Eject on the keyboard? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens with command, control and option either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried Force Quit Word. (I have tried with key combo, from the pop-down menu in menu bar, from pulling up Force Quit menu, highlighting Word and clicking on Force Quit.)
I have tried holding down the power button for 15 seconds (2ce).
I have tried Command, Option, Control (3 times).
What's next?

Sorry, when you press and hold the Power On / Off button for about 30 seconds or one minute, does it do anything?

- If that does not work, open Finder, then open Applications, then open folder Utilities, then open the item Terminal, then type:

sudo shutdown -r now

, then press Return key.

Please let me know. Thank you.