Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

After installing the Yosemite OS on my iMac desktop (SN#

Customer Question

After installing the Yosemite OS on my iMac desktop (SN# *****), I lost access to Microsoft Office. Have been unable to install the latest Office:mac 2011 because it does not recognize my password.
HELP. What can I do?
Harding Lindhult
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What version of Office were you using?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

It won't recognize your computer password ***** the Office serial number?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

When you try to install Office it is asking for your computer admin password ***** you know what that is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know my computer admin password ***** didn't know there was one.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes you need it to install software and updates. You can change it this way:

Restart

Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar in Yosemite).

This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed OS X 10.7 or later.

3. When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.

Don't worry. You won't have to do anything exotic on the Unix command line.

4. In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.

resetpassword

5. A new window will open, like this:

http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpg

Click on the 1) volume of interest, 2) select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

6. Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.

If all went well, when the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined in step #5 above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to reset the password?