Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Drobo 5D drops off line after a few hours of mounting the

Customer Question

My Drobo 5D drops off line after a few hours of mounting the drive. I am running US10.10.4 on a Mac Pro with the latests Drobo software and firmware. Is there a way to fix this problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Try this it worked for one user:

"With the 5D running with no disk in it, looking at it in Drobo Dashboard, I pushed my five disks in slowly, one at a time (counting three seconds in between). This feels very risky, but this time the Drobo started seeing them one at a time, gave me the notice "Too many drives have been removed. Put back the drive".

Then it changed from all five red, to started green and yellow blinking. This for two or three minutes. Meanwhile I am madly (and successfully) copying off my urgent data to my local HD. Then it switched to top four green, bottom one red (but there was a drive in it), then finally switched back to all five flashing green and yellow, and gave me the notification "Drobo data protection is progress, please do not remove any drives".

Its been running now for over an hour, still green and yellow flashing, still able to access my data.

I think that putting the partial set of disks in forced the Drobo into data protection mode, and it is rewriting whatever was amiss."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried this, but it did not solve the problem. System is still dropping offline.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If all is ok then restart and go to App Store and update to 10.10.5 then let me know