Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an imac i just installed yosemite on. now the

Customer Question

i have an imac i just installed yosemite on. now the external hd does not show on desktop. i've rebooted, changed usb ports, zapped pram, etc.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did a clean install from bootable yosemite thumb usb. then tried to recover my data from external hd via time machine. time machine icon not showing correctly (it's looks like a normal external hd rather than the green clock icon)
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you did a clean install you should have restored during the installation process. If not use the Migration Assistant in Utilities folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Migration Assistant is unable to find the external HD which contains the TM module. I just deleted the timemachine.plist and that did not work. It has something to do with the HD not mounting properly, I think. I can see the HD icon on the desktop and can access it via Finder. I can also see the HD in Disk Utilities but when I try to repair the volume it runs for hours and never finishes repairing.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like there may be a hardware failure if you can't repair the drive. You can try a third party repair Utility like Disk Warrior to try and repair the drive which can many times repair a drive that Disk Utility cannot. Let me know.