Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I am having the same problem with my A1311. It will get to

Customer Question

Hi David, I am having the same problem with my A1311. It will get to the gear stage and when that is complete, the computer shuts down. Unfortnately, I do not have the original boot disks. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what system version it was running?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
  6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
  8. Release the keys and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what operating system is on the computer. I bought it from a friend who was moving out of her office. Her IT guy said it worked fine, but has not been turned on in a few months. So far, it has shut down everytime it is getting to the end of the gear and time bar.I have performed your set of instructions to safe boot and computer then shuts down the same as it has been doing before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model no A1311
serial no W89539JH5PC
EMC No 2308That is about all I know about the computer. Am I going to need the original boot disks, or do you think I have a hardware failure?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK then I'm afraid there is a hardware failure that I can't determine here. If you had the install disk there is more we could try. Could be the hard drive or something more complicated you will need to take it in to a technician to look at it, sorry...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I was afraid of. Thank you for your help and your opinion, Jason
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK good luck

Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! If you have another computer we could create a rescue disk for your mac. I can assue you as long as your mac boots and you see the apple icon your hardware is working.