Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a mac mini 10.6.8 have use spotlight never had a

Customer Question

I have a mac mini 10.6.8 have use spotlight for years never had a problem today a small dot appeared when I went to click on it the computer froze and I have to restart it says indexing volumes its never done that ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Disk Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please don't start new questions... So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so go to System Preferences / Spotlight select Privacy drag your Macintosh HD to the window then close System Preferences then open System Preferences go back to Spotlight / Privacy and delete Macintosh HD from that window. The spotlight Index will rebuild and it can take some time so be patient