Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I'm trying your cure rejection on my desktop mac - but which

Customer Question

I'm trying your cure for CD rejection on my desktop mac - but which is the Option key ?? Nigel Rush
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Usually the CDs will be rejected the if lens is failed. What solutions have you tried so far ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does it eject both CD and DVD or just the CD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seldom use the CD DVD slot but it is all clean and tidy. I often use the SD card slot (below) successfully. I was about to try the solution on your website which said restart holding down control, option, P and R. But I don't know which key is "option"....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It rejects any CD DVD disc I have. The one I am trying has images (from old photo negatives) on it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Option key is the alt key. The key left to Command key.
This happens if the lens of the drive can't read the discs. Did you try different discs ?
There are two hardware resets that you can try. First is the SMC (System Management Controller) reset and second is the PRAM and NVRAM reset.
First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.
Wait 20 seconds seconds.
Attach the power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
This will reset the SMC. Now try some discs.
If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Shut down your Mac
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option(alt)-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. Put some CD and does it eject ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ashik, I will try these, and then let you know....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No problem and standing by :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I 've tried these two things, but still CD being rejected. Also when I was resetting PRAM and NVRAM (I've no idea what these are!) I didn't hear the start up sound "two or three times" - it just seemed to start up normally.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does it restart three times when you hold down those keys ?
Remember, you have to hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time immediately after turning on the Mac. Let me know the results please.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
PRAM and NVRAM are just the temporary memory that store some critical system files for the proper operation of computer.
If you hold down the keys for up to 5 seconds, then it is enough. The PRAM/NVRAM would reset in background.
Is your Mac still ejecting the discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First time I was holding Command, Option P and R even before I restarted. I have tried this all again, pressing them immediately after restarting and this time I did hear the startup sound twice. However I'm sorry to say the disc is still being rejected as before.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid it is the disc drive that has failed. Other components like logic board, RAM etc are fine. To make sure this is not an software issue, we can run Disk Utility and repair some files.
Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
Let me know if you get any errors from Disk Utility.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK _ it's currently running through Repair Permissions (est time 3 minutes) Lots of "Permissions Differ" followed by "Repaired System/Library/Core Services....."
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let it complete. It might take a while to complete and this will improve the performance of your Mac. It is very unlikely to fix the drive issue, but if it is software related then it will work. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have clicked Verify Disk. It seems to stop doing this just because I am trying to send you a message........... will re-click Verify Disk.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It will be stopped automatically after completing it. Also, the Repair Disk button will not get active if it doesn't need to be repaired.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to ask, did you get any errors when you repaired the permission ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as far as I know. The Repair Disk button has not got active.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CDs are still being rejected......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but it is the CD/DVD drive that has failed. You have to take your Mac to the Apple store to replace the drive. If you seldom use this drive, then it is not worth getting it fixed. It would cost upto $200 to get it replaced.
I'd recommend to buy an external USB DVD drive instead of replacing the internal drive. All external USB DVD drives are compatible with Macs and these drives are very cheap too. See here --> http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-External-DVD-Drives/zgbs/pc/1292113011
I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem, but this is something we can't fix online.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will buy (or borrow) one of these external drives. Thank you very much for your efforts to help me Ashik. KInd regards, Nigel.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome !
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit.
Also, add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me any time you want if you need my help.
Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Ashlik. I have now bought an Apple USB Superdrive (new - boxed). I have plugged it into to my desktop iMac. But I am not able even to push the CD (orDVD) all the way into the Superdrive. Can you help further please...? Nigel
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nigel, That is a slot loading drive. Gently push until it goes in completely. Do you feel somethind blocking ?
Also make sure you connected it to your Mac before loading the Cd. let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done all that. I can push the CD all in , but it does not "take it up" It springs back immediately until it protrudes 20mm. I have tried starting the computer before plugging in the new Drive and also starting the computer with it already plugged in. Don't tell me I have bought a faulty Superdrive!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is supposed to grab the disc when you put it in, just like the internal drive of your Mac. It is possible that it is not getting enough power. Connect it to different USB port of your computer (on the back) and does it work ?

If it still not working, then you did buy a faulty super drive. These are plug and play devices and doesn't require any drivers or software. Can you connect it to different USB port and try again ?

PS : You don't have to buy an Apple brand drive. Any brand of dvd drive will work.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nigel, Is it still not accepting the disc ? DO you have another computer to check ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nigel, Its me Ashik again. I'm just follow up with you to see how it is going. Let me know if you need any more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Ashik. As you know, you and I thought the Apple USB Superdrive which I bought, must be faulty. I double-checked by taking it into my local computer store and they could not make it accept a disk either. So I have sent it back and ordered another one, which has just arrived this morning. However, I am sorry to say that this does not accept any CDs either (when plugged into any of my iMac desktop USB ports). This suggests to me that the external USB DVD/CD drive is not the problem (- and probably the one I have sent back was NOT faulty) - it MUST be some sort of software problem, surely ???..... HELP !
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I just checked the tech specs of new super drive and found that it requires 2012 iMac or later. How old is your iMac ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way you could replace that Apple Super Drive with a third party drive like Samsung, LG, Verbatim etc ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Nigel, The internal drive issue is indeed an hardware problem as software issue doesn't cause this problem.
I just made a research and found that the latest Super drive is supported only for iMac 2012 or later (with no inbuilt drive). So it is your iMac preventing it from powering up. There are some work arounds to make it work. But I'd prefer to exchange it with third party drives.
Is there any way you could replace the Apple Super Drive with other brand drives ? All other brands like Samsung, Sony, LG, Verbatim are universal drives, meaning that they will work on every machines including your iMac. Let me know what you think ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Mac is 4 years old. That's not old to me... You did say earlier that ALL external USB DVD drives are compatible with Mac....!? I can try and change this 2nd one for another make I suppose....
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I did. They designed the latest drive to be compatible with 2012 or later iMacs only. I should've checked about Apple Super Drive and told you. I'm really sorry and I apologize for that. But all other drives except this Apple Super Drive are compatible with your iMac.
I have been using my Samsung External DVD drive with my 2009 iMac and 2011 Macbook Pro and it works fine.
If possible, exchange it for other brands and get a tray loading drive (not sloat loading).
If exchange is not possible, then we can try the work arounds to make it work with your Mac.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik. OK, I'll get a simpler USB external drive and see how that goes. It all seems part of a larger plot to make us obliged to update all equipment constantly to match in......
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
you are right. That is what is happening now. You have to purchase new hardware every one or 2 year so to match in.