Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Trying to restore my ipad mini from an infinite loop. the

Customer Question

trying to restore my ipad mini from an infinite loop. the DFU mode doesn't work and it says it cannot be restored.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What exactly does it do right now if you try to turn it on normally?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in an infinite loop all the time. I've tried to use DFU mode. The computer recognizes it. It puts it on the PC screen that I have to restore. I click on 'restore and update' and it gets stuck when it says 'waiting for ipad' then the iPad mini wakes up and starts the infinite loop again. All the while I still have my finger on the home button. Then it errors out and says it can't be restored.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened after I used the search function on my iPad mini for an app. And I clicked on the result that it found.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I meant the loop itself, what is it looping?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The apple logo and then it shows a static like looking glitch and restarts
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
When holding the home button do you ever get to a screen that shows a usb cable?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I've been trying to get so I can restore it and use it again
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hold the home and sleep/power button together for about 30 seconds. Then let go of only the sleep/power button. Now does it go to the usb cable screen at all?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I've been at this for hours since 1 am
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately as I mentioned in my original post it is possible you are going to need a part to fix this. Next please only hold the volume up button. Hold it for about 60 seconds. Does the apple logo ever stay on the screen while doing this?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't. It restarts right after the logo shows up
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok the next step would be to let it drain the battery before we can try anything else. Can you let it do that please? You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but I have to go to bed and get some sleep. I have to be at work by 1 pm today
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
No problem as I mentioned you can get back to me any time by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top.
.