Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Kamil! My wife was having all kinds of problems with Safari,

Customer Question

Hi Kamil! My wife was having all kinds of problems with Safari, so I thought i might be able to download and do a fresh install.
I now know that was the wrong thing to do. However, the version I downloaded was for OSX and now Safari will not work at all. Please advise
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of Mac OS X are you using now ? What happens when you open Safari ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is OS Lion 10.7.5. Safari will not open. There is a closed symbol across the Safari symbol and you get a message when you try to open it that the version I downloaded will not run with my operating system. It would require version OSX 10.10 or later.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We may need to reinstall the OS X to get the compatible Safari back. Do you have any other browser on that Mac ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The current Safari is replaced with non-compatible version. We need to replace it with working version. This can be done by reinstalling the OS X. Reinstalling the OS X won't delete any files.
But there is another way without reinstalling.
Are you talking to me from a different computer ? Or do you have another browser on that computer, like Chrome, Firefox etc ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
First trash the non-compatible Safari from Applications folder. Go to Applications folder and trash that Safari. If you are unable to trash it, then move it out of Applications folder to desktop.
Then download this version of Safari from here --> http://download-euro.oldapps.com/Safari/Safari5.1.1Lion.dmg
(If you are talking to me from different computer, then download it on that computer. Then you can copy the downloaded file to a flash drive, put it on the Mac and install it from there)
If that Safari doesn't work, then have to reinstall the OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem. Follow the steps below to reinstall.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If the previous Safari I sent you doesn't work, then download this one --> http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/43/04/031-05867/xcrpn0l2nziw9mglb0gksv2rndu0nquggd/Safari6.1.6Lion.pkg
If it works, then move it to the Applications folder. If that didn't work, then trash Safari from Applications folder and reinstall the OS X. Reinstalling the OS X will install a working Safari.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I downloaded and installed both versions of Safari but when I try to open Safari, only the locked version tries to open and gives me the error message. I also tried to trash it from the launch pad and from the applications folder and it would not trash it because it said that OSX needed it. I also tried moving it to the desktop. The symbol moved, but it also stayed in the apps folder and will not give me any options to do away with it.
I then rebooted the computer and held down the command key and the R key. However, it went ahead and loaded normally and did not go to a utilities screen. Sorry, I don't know if I did something wrong or not.
In answer to an earlier question, I am using Chrome and/or Firefox but for some reason my wife continues to use Safari.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Trash that problem Safari with this application --> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it!
This will force remove it. Let me know the results please
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you are still unable to delete it, then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Terminal.
Write the following code and press return
cd /Applications/
press return
Then type
sudo rm -rf Safari.app/
Press return and this will remove Safari. Then download the two Safaris I sent you. If you are unable to open them as well, then do the following steps to reinstall them.
Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard. This will boot into Start up manager. Select Recovery HD and press return. Then reinstall Mac OS X when it boot in to Mac OS X Utilities screen. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I am so sorry. Everything I try seems to be failing. I downloaded the Trash It software from Macupdate but it refused to load after trying several times. I then went into the Applications>Utilities folder and opened Terminal. When I typed in the cd /Applications/ code, it responded that there was no such directory and when I typed in the sudo rm -rf Safari.app/ code it gave me a warning not to enter that code for some reason and only gave me the option of canceling the directive.
I then tried turning off the computer and holding down the Option key when I turned it back on. I tried that twice and it just loaded normally both times and failed to access the Start Up manager screen.
Again, I have tried to follow your directions carefully but everything seems unwilling to work. It almost seems that there is a much deeper problem affecting the normal operations. Please have patience with me, I am trying.David
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is very odd. It is very strange that the Mac is not booting to startup manager or OS X recovery.
We need to trash Safari to install a fresh one. Download this App Cleaner application from here --> http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
Install and open it. In App Cleaner, load Safari. This will load Safari and all its files. Select all and click Delete. Are you able to delete now ?
Also, could you please give me the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I downloaded the AppCleaner software and installed it. When I try to drag the Safari symbol software to the appcleaner as it directs, it will not go. It simply returns to its original position in the apps folder.I have 3 drives. A*****is where most everything resides. I also have a*****that I use for time machine backups, and a*****as a separate storage for important files.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What is the hardware specs (processor and RAM) of your Mac ? You can find it from Apple > About This Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Processor 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon
Memory 12 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-Dimm
Startup Disk 2 TB Internal Hd
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Your Mac can handle the latest OS X Yosemite. The best option is, upgrade your Mac OS X to latest 10.10.4 Yosemite which will run the latest Safari and latest apps.
What you think ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great and I considered it before, but somewhere I read that it would not upgrade to Yosemite. What does that involve?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That depends up on the generation of the Mac. Is this Early 2008 or newer Mac Pro ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the Mac Pro
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Mac Pros before 2008 will not support Yosemite. The only way to check whether your Mac Pro support is from AppStore. Open App Store. Click on OS X Yosemite in the right and try to download it ? If your Mac support it, it will download and install.
If not, then you will get error. If Yosemite doesn't work, neither 10.8 or 10.9 will work.
I just don't understand why your Mac is not booting in to OS X Utilities or Startup Manager.
If your Mac doesn't support Yosemite, then we can create a new bootable OS X Lion USB Drive, then boot in to it and reinstall OS X Lion.
First go to App Store, click on Purchases tab and you will see OS X Lion there. Download it.
Then get a USB flash drive (8Gb or higher) and create a bootable Lion USB drive using this application --> http://diskmakerx.com/
After creating a bootable USB flash drive, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk. Select the flash drive and click Restart. This will boot into it (or connect the flash drive, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option/alt key for 10 seconds and this will bring startup manager screen. Select the flash drive and press return)
When it booted into OS X Utilities screen, click Reinstall Mac OS X. This will reinstall fresh OS X (without deleting your personal files).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the Appstore and my system will not support Yosemite. As far as creating a new bootable OS X Lion, not only do I not have a USB flash drive, but unless or until I can get the computer to boot to Startup Manager it really wouldn't do any good. I am like you, I just cannot understand why it will not do something that it is supposed to do if everything else fails.
I have gone through and run several cleanup programs (TuneUpMyMac, Mackeeper, CCleaner) and tried again to install the earlier versions of Safari, all to no avail. I have also tried again to get the computer to boot to the Start-Up Manager with no luck.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delay. Open App Store application, click on Purhcases tab and do you see OS X Lion application to download ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I just logged on to the app store and did a search for OSX Lion and it was no longer available. I also just tried again to access the Start-Up Manager and it always loads normally to the log-on page. Even if I am able to secure a copy of Lion, how will I be able to install it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You will be able to boot into that flash drive directly and install it.
I'm getting out of ideas. Lets try a few more things. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
Then turn off your Mac. Unplug everything and wait 2 minutes. Then turn it on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 3 seconds. This will boot the Mac and then restart and immediately hold donw Option/alt key and does it boot into startup menu ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I did as you said and opened the Disk Utility to verify the disk. I ran the verify disk utility and it indicated that the disk was okay and did not need repair.
I then turned off and unplugged the computer for several minutes (about 15), then turned it back on and pressed the keys you indicated for 3-5 seconds. I then rebooted and held down the option key until it booted to the log on screen as it always does.
I have no idea why it will not allow us to access the Start Up Manager, but it seems determined not to.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Download this version of Safari from here --> http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/43/04/031-05867/xcrpn0l2nziw9mglb0gksv2rndu0nquggd/Safari6.1.6Lion.pkg
Double click on the downloaded file and what do you see ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also go to System Preferences > Startup Disk. What disks do you see there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded the 6.1.1 version of Safari. When I double clicked on it the installation instructions came up and it seemed to install perfectly. All of the other versions I have downloaded have done the same. The 10.10 version readily replaced my original version, but none of the others have been able to replace it. The same thing happened with this one.
As far as the System Preferences, the Startup Disk identified the 2 TB hard drive. So I highlighted it and restarted the computer with the Startup Disk, but I still did not get to a Startup Manager page and the Safari is still telling me that it will not run on this version.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
On your Mac, download this Safari from here --> http://wikisend.com/download/612708/Safari.zip
This is a installed copy of Safari. Download the zip file and double click on that zip file. A Safari folder will be created there and you will see Safari there. Can you open that Safari ? If so, copy it to the desktop. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to download the file and it said that Safari.zip is a malicious code and Chrome had blocked it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mouse was not behaving normally and I accidentally clicked on a request for expert service/Live phone call. Why would I request additional services when we haven't resolved the original problem. Are you done with me? I am not yet satisfied because I still have the same problem. Does this mean I can request a refund? I need your help, Ashik
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delay. Had to go offline since it was very late in here. We're not done. The file is not malicious. It is a copy from my Mac.
Please open it. Does it work ?
Of course you can request for refund. If I couldn't solve your problem, you will get refund.
Can we do a screen sharing session, so I can remotely connect to your Mac and help you directly to solve the issue while you watch ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, of course we can. I was just telling you what I saw when I tried to download the link. Just let me know what to do and when.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Follow the steps below to start remote support session.
You have to do this from your computer itself. On your Mac, open Chrome. Then goto this website ---> www.fastsupport.com
In FastSupport website, you will see two text columns. Name and Support Key. Under Name, enter your name and under Support Key enter this code --- >###-##-####
Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to connect. An application will be downloaded. Then open the Citrix Online Launcher file you see there and then open the Citrix Online Launcherapplication and let it connect. If asked for permission, allow it.
Let me know if you have any difficulty connecting to me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting for you to connect to me. Are you having any difficulty ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Issue resolved via Remote support !
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Issue resolved via Remote support !
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good Service or Excellent Service and click Submit. Then only I will get credit for helping you. You will not be charged anything additional.
Thanks and Have a great day,