Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have an ipad that i forgot the password to. it has never

Customer Question

hi daniel - i have an ipad that i forgot the password *****
it has never been backed up to itunes or connected to a mac. I want to reset the password ***** to try again. but i dont want to restore the ipad to factory default without being able to get the photos etc off
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.
What password ***** ***** asking for? Is it the 4 digit passcode to get into the home screen of the iPad or the password ***** your apple/iCloud id?
Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Vinod - it was not a four digit passcode - it was an alphanumeric password. It was only for access to the iPad. This iPad has never been synced or backed up to iCloud.
this - danay
Thank you for the info.
Unfortunately, I only have bad news for you. The only way to bring your iPad to functional state id to restore it to factory settings. If you don't have a backup, the contents might be lost. However, your iTunes purchases are safe as they are linked to your account. But, the photos, contacts etc could be lost I am afraid :(
I wish I had a different answer, but there ain't any than a restore.
Let me know if you need the detailed process for restoring the iPad.
If you ever connected it to a computer and synced, there is a chance that computer has a backup. So after the restore, choose a backup if you have any listed over there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying that there is no other way? Why would apple build in such a ridiculous kill switch?
I understand your concern..:(
Please understand that we are not apple. Apple is concerned about security and probably they want everyone to use iTunes or iCloud to backup so that if someone gains access to your iPad they don't gain access to your data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going to charge me $66 for telling me something that many of the forums already tell me?
If you wish to go for a refund, please don't rate my answer and you can email to***@******.***