John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My iphone has died on me. I have pressed the home and sleep

Customer Question

my iphone has died on me. I have pressed the home and sleep buttons for 20 seconds and the apple logo has appeared. But the logo now keeps disappearing and reappearing and the phone does not reboot. Any help would be much appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.
How do you normally back up this iPhone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
through itunes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but when i now connect to itunes via my mac it is not picking up the phone
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

Disconnect all cables from your Apple device.

Open iTunes on the computer

Turn off the device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up).

Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to the computer running iTunes. (If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on.)

Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, then restore the device.

It may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes and you should choose this option to recover data from your last backup.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed your instructions and get as far as holding the home button down until I get the connect to iTunes screen. But I get no alert from itunes - it is not picking up the phone.I have another phone (iphone 6) which gets picked up by itunes no problem.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, please try this alternative;

* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device completely shuts off).

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen will be completely black.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, restart your computer and start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, restart once more and plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will try this again in the morning as it didn't work first time.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok good luck!

Please let me know if you have further questions.