kanoko
kanoko, Mac Guru
Experience:  5+ years of Mac expertise
65089077

I've got a Maxtor external hard drive 9NZ2A4-500 that used

Customer Question

Hi, i've got a Maxtor external hard drive 9NZ2A4-500 that used to work on my windows PC. I now have a Macbook pro and unfortunately it doesn't recognise the drive
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you need any more info?
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.

I would be glad to help. The issue you are having is often due to the type of file system that the drive is formatted with. If the format is exFAT or NTFS any version of Mac OS X is going to have trouble accessing the data on that drive. The only way to solve this without losing your data, would be to transfer the contents of the drive to another Windows drive, then format your drive using a more compatible file system like FAT32 and then put the contents back onto the drive.

I would be happy to walk you through the steps to do this. Do you have enough storage space on another drive on a Windows machine that you can do the transfer with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. I do still have a windows PC with plenty of storage space. However, this also does not recognise the Maxtor external hard drive
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
I see. First let's see if the Windows computer recognizes it as a drive. With it connected, reboot your Windows Machine. Then after boot up go to either Start > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, or Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Then open the Storage section on the left side and click Disk Management. You should see the external drive listed as one of the items in the lower right section.
Let me know whether or not you see your drive listed there, and if so, what information is written about it (partition size, partition format, etc.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've followed your instructions, unfortunately I cannot see the external drive listed. When the maxtor hdd drive is attached to the PC the light on the unit flashes continually
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
If you are unable to see the drive as a list item as I described, then your drive is physically damaged and you will be unable to use it. You may be able to take to local computer hardware store to see if any of the data is recoverable, but at this point there is nothing you can do without specialized repair equipment.
Do you happen to know how old the drive is? Most hard drives reach this point between 5-10 years of use, which is why it is important to always backup your important data in case your primary drive fails.
I would be glad to help you set up back ups with a new drive if you are interested in preventing this from happening in the future.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
If you no longer need help with this question, please remember to leave a rating on the question page. Keep in mind that the solution to your problem may not be the one you were expecting. If you have any more questions or concerns about this particular issue feel free to let me know.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
I will keep your question open until you have a chance to RATE or REPLY on the question page below:
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/98at5-i-ve-maxtor-external-hard-drive-9nz2a4-500-used.html
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.