Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My macbook is suddenly going extremely slowly and constantly

Customer Question

My macbook is suddenly going extremely slowly and constantly getting the wheel of death and apps not responding?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X) Processor Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS X
Version 10.9.4
Processor - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 17
Memory - 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If that is all ok then after restart go to the Apple Logo to App Store and select Updates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done everything you outlined but now it it freezing on appbstore window before completely loading and is still very slow.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK if Verify Disk was OK and you Repaired Permissions then go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac and select Storage what is listed next to Macintosh HD?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you have at least 20 GB free on Macintosh HD restart to Recovery HD again and this Time reinstall Mac OS X. Let me know after
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you reinstall??