Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I'm nervous that I just lost all of my recent pictures

Customer Question

Hi! I'm nervous that I just lost all of my recent pictures on my new iPhone 6. This is the first time I plugged my iPhone 6 into my laptop to try and save pictures and the prompt asked me if I wanted to create a new iPhone account or backup the last backed up version from my old iPhone 5. I chose my old iPhone 5 thinking that it was going to add old information onto my new phone. Now I can't find my pictures that I've taken the past 3 months. Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.
I am sorry for the bad news, but I would like to be honest with you. Once you have used a different backup file, the current backup will be overwritten. So the chances of retrieving your backup is minute.
The only chance you can get your pictures back is if the backup is still there.
Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPhone to the computer. Your iPhone would now be listed in iTunes. Click on the iPhone and now, to the middle of the screen, you have an option "restore backup".
Click on that and see if there is a different backup related to the new phone. If you do, choose that and see whether that brings back all your photos.
FYI: Your photos might also have been saved to iCloud. So if the above process does not work and if you have an iCloud account where you have been saving data to, the photos might be there too. But it depends on a number of factors.