Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I was having trouble getting past the initial white screen.

Customer Question

I was having trouble getting past the initial white screen. Now my computer turns on but when I log in it goes to a blue screen and then right back to the log in screen. Again and again I have tried.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
How old is your Mac ? Have you did any software updates prior to this problem ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer was bought 2008 I believe. It had been doing its own thing for the last week or so. I don't recall purposefully doing any updates.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X Installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have moved several times since buying it so I am unsure if or where that may be.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
This usually happens if there is any issues with the system files or if the hard drive itself is failing. We may need the discs to reinstall the Mac OS X. Now we can do some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not.
First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down your Mac
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Does it boot into Safe Mode ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying now. Does this look right so far?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the picture. It seems like you are using latest OS X. Let it boot. It might take up to 20 minutes to boot into Safe Mode.
Let me know how it goes please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It booted. I tried. Didn't work. Still I type in my log in password. Screen goes blue and then right back to the log in screen. I have a separate log in that I created but never used. That one works...but none of my needed work and files are on that one. Didn't know if that was useful info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try the "shift" alternate option I guess.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you. That was a useful info. We now know the system files are fine. There is a way to get all your files back.
Now tets run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...
/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)
If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy
Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still trying to boot with the "shift" key option so I will try that as soon as it's done so I don't just shut it off now and ruin it more. 👍🏻
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Shift key option is the way to boot into Safe mode. The first option is to reset the PRAM (some temporary memory).
If the user account is corrupted, then Shift key option will not work. So try running Disk Utility from Single User Mode and let me know if you get any errors there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait! That shift safe mode worked!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least I'm in! Should I just try to back everything up??
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! But Safe Mode is not a permanent solution. In Safe Mode, Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Let me know.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, backup all your important files to an external hard drive or flash drive if you have one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't lose anything on my computer doing that way right?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, but since you are in I'd recommend to backup all your files to an external hard drive or flash drive first.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I mean Yes. You won't lose anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I backed up what wasn't already. Now I go to applications to do the disk thing and it says 0 items in applications??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
...doing the other instructions now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I'm so tech in-savvy!
On the right side both verify disk came up and below that repair disk. Do I verify first?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No worries :)
Yes, click Verify Disk. If asked to repair, click Repair Disk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no I think I was supposed to repair
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Verify first. Then click Repair Disk if it became active.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it did stop me and said to repair. But now the "repair disk" option is not clickable,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I start over?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So so repair disk permissions again yes?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you have already repaired permission before, then click Verify Disk now. If asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stopped verifying and says:
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just reboot normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shut off from power button and turn back on just normal?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No but after finished running the commands. Give it a few minutes and after it is finished, it will show the results. Then type reboot and press return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So although nothing is happening it's doing something? Did I cause an issue already typing reboot? You got that pic right?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It should be running in the background. Wait 5 minutes and if it is not responding, turn it off using the power button and reboot normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to feed my one year old. Will you still be able to answer me in in 30 minutes?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Of course I will be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! When I did verify it came up with red words and says I needed to repair but was never given the repair disk option and the one on that screen was no clickable. I guess I'll have to start over?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, just restart your Mac normally. Does it start ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No was stuck on the white screen with apple and gray bar for hours yesterday. I went to work and nothing moved once I got home.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn off and restart while holding down Shift key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not home at the moment. I will as soon as I'm home and I'll message you back...hopefully it all works. 😊
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Since you are unable to repair it, we may need to do a erase and install. Let me know whether you are able to boot into Safe mode.