John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

IPAD IS BRAND NEW. I JUST HAD IT SET UP TODAY IN AN APPLE STORE.

Customer Question

IPAD IS BRAND NEW. I JUST HAD IT SET UP TODAY IN AN APPLE STORE. SCREEN IS FROZEN WITH AN IMAGE OF CHARGER CORD, UP ARROW AND ITUES LOGO. I TRIED TO REBOOT, APPLE LOGO COMES ON THEN BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FROZEN SCREEN
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you tell me what you were doing with the iPad just prior to this event? Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking my email and was trying to download the update that was showing on my settings.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** sounds like the iPad crashed while it was trying to install the update. Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 and later users) > Check Now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.) Disconnect all cables from your Apple iPad. Open iTunes on the computer Turn off the device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device completely shuts off). Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to the computer running iTunes. (If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on.) Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, then restore the device. It may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want iTunes? I just want to get rid of the frozen screen so I can get into email and everything else. I never wanted iTunes.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, you must use iTunes in order to make the iPad functional once more, since the iPad software has crashed. John