Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I'm Marco. My MacBook Pro 8,1 (13-inch, Late 2011) makes 9 beeps (bad EFI) I&#

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Marco.
My MacBook Pro 8,1 (13-inch, Late 2011) makes 9 beeps (bad EFI)
I'm looking how to fix it ..
Can you help?
Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! IF you issue is EFI related ( meaning a bad efi boot drive ) it should still boot. Anytime your mac has beeps when booting it means either the ram is bad or something connected to your mac is making it trip. Change memory and test more then likely this will be the issue.
Also incase you did want to recreate the efi partition all we would need is a osx install usb and to boot into single user mode ( cmd + s on startup) insert the osx usb The disk1 is your external drive, and it contains an ESP as the first partition (disk1s1) and disk0 is the drive whose ESP (disk0s1) you want to fix, run this command:sudo dd if=/dev/disk1s1 of=/dev/disk0s1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you a lot for your fast response, but I think you missed the problem completely: the MacBoot Pro does not simply beep while booting, it does no longer boot at all, no screen displayed, no reaction to keyboard (PRAM reset and so on): simply nine beeps (3 short, 3 long and 3 short again, then it starts over doing the same. It does exactly this, whatever you do, no boot from usb stick, no single user boot ... The problem is perfectly known, earlier model could be fixed creating a Firmware Restoration CD, but newer models like mine no longer have this option, or at least I didn't find it. The only solution seems to be to go to an AASP and have the LogicBoard replaced ... but I already knew this before ...
Telling me to check the RAM means that your knowledge is far less than mine: RAM beeps is one thing, nine beeps is something else, I.e. corrupted EFI : I'm NOT satisfied with your answer and if yon cannot help me further I ask for a full refund, but thank you forr time.
Then you shouldnt of put EFI thats why i answered with that info. If you would state what you done like you did this time then my answer would of been different ;)
The below is what you need you will have to be really skilled at using a solder iron http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-EFI-firmware-chip-APPLE-MacBook-Pro-A1278-Logic-board-820-2565-A-/400647978083