Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iTunes keeps freezing at startup and it's not syncing the

Customer Question

My iTunes keeps freezing at startup and it's not syncing the music on my iPhone 6+. I have 6000+ songs, including 500+ that aren't on iTunes. I have the Apple iMusic subscription which is supposed to automatically download and sync all music from my mac to my iphone. Again, itunes keeps freezing and can rarely play music without the hourglass spinning for 5 minutes+
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X) Processor Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OX X Yosemite, 10.10.4
Processor, 2.6 GHZ Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the restart and disk utility verify and repair. All was green and good. What do I do next?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You have iTunes Match or Apple Music or both they are two different things, see here: http://www.imore.com/apple-music-vs-itunes-match-whats-difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have/had both but as I understand it, iTunes Match is no longer valid because I upgraded to Apple Music.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Correct you don't really need both but you used to have iTunes Match correct? How long has it been since you switched to Apple Music?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I had both but I switched to Apple Music about two weeks ago but have always had a very slow and constantly freezing iTunes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any solutions?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Looking
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Quit iTunes. Go to Finder then hold Option and select Go at the top of the screen, go to Library open Preferences drag these files to the trash: Then try iTunes again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that and iTunes is still loading very slowly, frozen right now but not totally frozen.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You probably need to recreate your Library it is a bit of a task: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201561 Follow the directions under: Re-creating the iTunes Library file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's too complicated. I can't even find the library in my finder. It doesn't exist. So I would have to recreate the library and that's entirely too difficult.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well that is my suggestion, sorry. Your iTunes Library is in your Music folder normally in the left column of every finder window under Favorites. If it was moved then you will find it in iTunes Preferences / Advanced that is where it can be changed to a different location. It will be listed there.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If that is too complicated you may need to get help but that is what I think will fix it, sorry. I offered to connect by remote.