Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Mac Mini OSX overheats after 1 hr of use

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
They do get pretty hot is it shutting down or giving any warning messages? Is it sitting on a hard surface with nothing around it to block the fan on the bottom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sitting on desk don't know if fan is blocked should I raise it ?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If it is on a hard flat surface it should be ok is it shutting down? We can reset the SMC and NVRAM:Shut down the computer.Unplug the computer's power cord.Wait fifteen seconds.Attach the computer's power cord.Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.Release the keys.Also you can make sure there is not dust blocking the vents on the bottom by blowing it out with and aircan or vacuum.
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! If your mac is overheating we will need to use a program to make your fans spin at max and also clean out your vents on your mac mini.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Once you have done the SMC and NVRAM reset go here and download Maintenance for your system version: http://www.titanium.free.fr/maintenance.html Follow the directions and let it check your drive then check all boxes and Execute, let me know if the problem persists after restart.