Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

MY Dell computer screen blinks

Customer Question

MY Dell computer screen blinks every 5-6 seconds, then goes black for a while until I wiggle my mouse and it comes on. Then starts the cycle all over again.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
help!
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.
Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac.
If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows.
Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac.  And then where it says version,  send that to me as a reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a Mac, with OS 10.10.4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to say Hi Dustin.... So, "Hi Dustin"
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. And hello~) Lets try something simple first. Shut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.Turn on your Mac.Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.Release the keys. Start the mac normally. If this doesnt fix the issue, send a reply and let me know you still need help. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin. I followed your step carefully, and it does not seem to have cleared up the problem. The Dell monitor is flickering, and then going black for a second or two. This is happening in about 5 second cycles...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be a Dell problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need help!
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question. When you held down the command option P and R buttons.. Did you hear the startup chime twice? If so, then lets move on. What type of connection are you using to connect the dell monitor to your Mac? And have you tried disconnecting the screen, and reconnecting it ? ( it could be a loose connection) Also, do you have the monitor connected to a surge protector or plugged directly into the wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I need to give you more details. I have unplugged EVERY cable and have replugged them at least 5 times. I have checked every cable attached. I have researched this with Dell and this problem seems to have occurred to several other owners. Should I download a new driver? Is there some other solution you might figure out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have surge protectors of course. I am using the cables that came with the Dell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have repowered both the screen and the macbook pro at least 10 times
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Are you using a wireless mouse and keyboard, if so disconnect them. Also for good measure disconnect the charging cord from the macbook pro. And then disconnect the monitor cable, and reconnect it. Any change? ( and if not, do you have any other computer or mac you can test the monitor on. Or any other monitor you can test with the macbook pro? )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any other computer to test it with. I've done everything else. Got any other ideas, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no change
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Youve tried disconnecting all USb devices and the Macbooks power cord? Before or after I suggested it. While the suggestions Im making may seem simple, they are specific steps that are targeted at elimination specific possible faults. I need to know for certain you are trying the exact steps I mention, exactly as I mention them. Also, can you tell me the full name brand and model 3 of the dell monitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell U2415
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind, Dustin. I got Dell tech support to fix it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
This link may be of interest to you. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund With that being said, May I ask what the issue ended up being?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently a malfunctioning lightening cable from the Dell monitor. It works fine when connected with an HDMI cord. They are sending me a replacement for the monitor.