Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I can not update software because I forgot my global passw

Customer Question

i can not update software because I forgot my global password
Category: Mac
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
Could you provide further details about your issue, please? Which software are you trying to update here?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on OSX and I just trying to get the password ***** my Macbook Pro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't update any software without it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any reminders as well that would help me remember so I just want to reset it
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
OK. Let me open up your question to our other experts now, who will be able to assist you further with this issue. Thank you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.9.4
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. First goto System Preferences and select iCloud. Then sign in to your iCloud account. Disable or uncheck the "Keychain" option in there if it is enabled. If it is already unchecked/disabled, then don't enable it. Follow the steps below to reset the password;
Turn off your Mac.
Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 10 seconds.
This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.
Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".
Type (without space) : resetpassword
Press return. Confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal.
After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;
Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).
Quit Keychain Access and you can use the new password ***** install apps, makes changes etc.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if I don't have iCloud???
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can ignore that step. Do the remaining steps please and it will definitely work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good Service or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit. Then only I will get credit for helping you. You won't be charged anything additional.
Thanks and Have a great day,