Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

So stressed over PPT presentation due today. How do I make

Customer Question

So stressed over PPT presentation due today. How do I make the PPT I created automatically present the voice overs I recored on each slide
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
Can you tell me please which version of powerpoint you are using?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 . I have the presentation completed and I recorded the narrative on each slide. There is a speaker icon that when clicked on plays the audio. I need to upload the presentation and it needs to automatically play through the presentation with voice over which I can't figure out. You can always call me too
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
The steps to do this are as follows
View the appropriate slide in Normal view
From the Insert menu, select Sound and Music » From File...
The Insert Sound dialog box appears.
From the Insert Sound dialog box, navigate to and select the desired sound
Click INSERT
An alert box appears asking how you want your sound to start.
To play your sound automatically, click AUTOMATIC
To start your sound by clicking the mouse, click WHEN CLOSED
The sound when then play either when the slide is reached, or when you move onto the next slide.
I can also do these steps for you directly on your computer and show you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that does not work. I already tried that. The sound is not a file on my computer but already recorded on the ppt slide. if I do what you said (as I have already done) this just brings me to a window to insert a file from my computer which I do not have
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you will have to turn it into a file and then you can insert it.
you can follow the instructions below and record the sound from powerpoint
http://www.mactip.net/how-to-record-sound-on-a-mac/
Then this allows you to make a file from it.
then you can insert the file into the powerpoint file as I instructed before, allowing it to automatically play. But you have to turn it first into a file.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok wait. The sound is already recorded on the slide. You are saying I have to download another program QT and rerecord the sound to reinsert it back into PPT.? And that is the only way just to make the sound play automatically?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
QT will already be installed.
But yes, you need to reinsert it correctly, so normally you would just insert the file again but as you do not have this, you need to record the sound, to make a file and then insert this file into the presentation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to rerecord the narration. Does this record the sounds I already have?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will record sound, so as long as you are hearing the sounds from the power point presentation, it records it. Similar to a tape recorder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay but what about the keyboard sounds --I can't have that in the presentation
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
the only way to make a file from sound is to record it, so if you want to do this, without having the actual audio file, then the only way is to record the sound per the instructions I gave.
So dont press the keyboard when recording, or press it very lightly and do not make any sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get it. I already recorded the sound in the power point presentation. What kind of file is that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to Insert a file in order to have it play automatically, and you insert it via the instructions I have been giving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but what kind of file is the voiceover that is currently there?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its not a file at all, its part of the presentation, if it was a file we would be inserting it.
Which is why I am having you make a sound file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well I jet started the process and regardless of how lightly I tap on the key board there are clicking sounds between every slide and I can't have that. It sounds awful
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to use a file per a slide, so you do a voice over, make a file from it then do the next one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what you just said. Embeded in the QT recording is a clicking sound. That doesn't work. I saw on a tube tutorial that for PPT 2011 you could automatically start the audio upon clicking the slide. How is that done on 2008?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what part of the instructions do you not understand how to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well .......when I click play on the audio icon on the slide then click play on QT. The slide stops the audio. If I do the reverse there are clicking sounds
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then you will need to re record it straight into QT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, as I said I can not rerecord the information - it is another speaker. So you are saying there is no way to automatically start the audio on the PPT without rerecording the audio? I don't think that is right. What is the purpose of recording it then? Besides tube tutorials indicate there is a way
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
As I have been saying, If you have the file or the speaker icon within the presentation, you can.
As you have just done a voice over with no speaker and no file, then there is nothing to assign the properties to.
Look at the yourtube files if you don't believe me, you will see each and every one of them works with wither a file or the speaker icon and either sets the property on insert it assigns an animation to the speaker.
both of which you have said you do not have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the speaker icon on every slide
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the items that were recorded
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now when I click on each slide there is a speaker icon that plays the recorded items
However I need them to play automatically in slide presentation mode and I need the slides to advance automatically
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I have been getting a really unclear idea of what you exactly have setup in your power point slide as I am getting sa lot of conflicting information on your from this. I see you have spent some time on this already so can understand, but its going to be better if you just give me the presentation and I can see what exactly you have to avoid having to keep writing out instructions
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
645352
Each slide has an icon (except the last one) with recorded information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It just doesn't make sense to rerecord it. My friends PC has an option to automatically start the audio but she is out of town
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also wanted to hide the speaker icon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
icons
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well should I jump off a cliff or can it be done?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I see how you have it and unless you do it via a file as per my initial instructions, you only have the animation options and thats going to require clicking.
So without the actual file, you will have to click it to get it to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that would be ok if the audio can it be started automatically on clicking? I know that is available on PPT 2010. But if I just hit record for QT then go over to the file there is clicking sounds. If I start the audio first and go to QT the audio stops upon starting the QT recording
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to sett he animation on it and then choose Trigger, then choose for example Heading 1 so when you click on Heading one it starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what you just said. Where is trigger? Set animation on what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the steps to do?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Click on the speaker icon, then click on Animation in the top menu.
you will then see Trigger listed there on the top right.
This is what you click on to select how the audio can be started.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that happens when I click on the speaker icon is it plays the audio
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I go to custom animation while it is playing, the audio stops
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to be in Design View as with any changes you make, then you click on the Speaker THEN you click on Animations at the top menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see design view. Under the View tab I see normal, slide sorter, etc. etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in normal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your mis understanding the instructions, I do not say play the audio file, I just want you to follow the steps as I listed them,
Follow the instructions here on anamiation
http://www.uwec.edu/help/ppoint07/animate-m.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read those previously online. There is nothing about beginning an audio automatically. Also, I did follow the instructions and when I click on the speaker icon it plays it does not bring up another menu
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
As i said, from the very beginning, that is not possible.....
It is NOT possible to start it automatically unless you have an actual file.
What I said, was animations can be used to start it when you click somewhere on the slide.
"ok, I see how you have it and unless you do it via a file as per my initial instructions, you only have the animation options and thats going to require clicking.
So without the actual file, you will have to click it to get it to start."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me clarify, beginning a file automatically when clicked on. I do not understand how to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand how to use the animation options because when I followed your instructions what you told me did not happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what is design view - I do not see that and have not recieved instructions as to how to access it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its the same as clicking on it to start, I am just explaining to you thee opnly options you had was animiations which would only give you the option of clicking on the heading and starting the audio,
I should not have mentioned that to you as its got you all confused now.
Just know it cant be done, as I have been saying from the beginning. I really just don't know how tot tell you this any differently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay you are saying the only way is to record it in QT? And as a test I did record an audio for the first slide. I recorded a new QT audio as a test. But now when I insert the file it still does not start automatically and there is a movie icon on the slide which I can't get rid of.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to follow the instructions exactly as I gave, they are step by step.
It works for 2008
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that but there is no instruction on how to hide or cover the icon
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I dont know what your referring to now with hiding and covering icons.
This we have not even discussed today