Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a late 2011 iMac, ordered with i7 quad core 3.4 chip,

Customer Question

I have a late 2011 iMac, ordered with i7 quad core 3.4 chip, a 6970 graphics card with 2048 megabytes of ram, 16 megabytes of computer ram, and thunderbolt. I was very excited to hear about METAL coming to the mac and then I read that the cut-off point for macs was 2012 and above. I am so disappointed. Clearly, I have the components to be able to run metal. Is there anyway I can be able to use it? Perhaps apple should have gone just a bit further (to late 2011) iMacs. Can they change this policy?
Very disappointed,
Steve Bissell ***@******.***
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. When you say Metal, are you talking about the Metal framework for "GPU-accelerated advanced 3D graphics rendering and data-parallel computation workloads" ? If so. That framework deals mainly with IOS graphics. If were discussing the same " Metal" Then it can run on your mac. You can download a developers beta now for Yosemite and for El Capitan ( if you already are running the developer beta for 10.11 ) Youre well above the requirements for El Capitan 10.11 as seen here http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/09/os-x-el-capitan-system-requirements-compatible-mac/ If you have further questions, youre welcome to respond and I will assist you further as needed. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent/ 5 stars selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen, when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I havent heard back from you since you viewed my response on the 11th.
Did you still need help with this issue, do you have further questions?
Please respond when you can so we can either mark this as resolved or so I can assist you further. Thank you,
Dustin S.