Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I updated my OS to Yosemite and it gave me several

Customer Question

I updated my OS to Yosemite and for iPhoto it gave me several options of which iphoto library I wanted to load and the one loaded does not have all my recent photos. How do I fix this ??? How do I know which version is the latest one? Ive had to rebuild a library in the past due to iPhoto not opening in the past, so I have "rebuilt library" different versions. I have no idea which one was the latest before I updated to Yosemite.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
You can check the modification date of each library and that will tell which one is latest. Open your home folder and open the Pictures folder. You can see all the libraries there. Right click or control + click on the library and select Get Info from the pop up menu. Check the modified date in it.
Then hold down Option key on your keyboard and open iPhoto. Select Choose Library and select the latest one.
You can also open individual libraries until you find the right one. There are no other easy way to know the latest library.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also, please note that in latest Yosemite there is a iPhoto replacement app named Photos application. So you may find the libraries of Photos application in the Pictures folder.
Make sure you don't confuse between the Photos Library and iPhoto Library. iPhoto Library has the icon of iPhoto application.
If you have any difficulty, please let me know and I'm happy to continue to help you.
If this is not what you are looking for, please don't rate me bad or poor but please reply back to me instead and I will continue to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply! I am working on this. I am working also so may take me a while to get back. I will let you know what happens
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Take your time. If you have any difficulties, please get back to me by replying here and I'm happy to continue to help you.
Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was busy this weekend. Thank you for your reply. I am reading through it and I am confused. Where is the "home folder"?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Good to see your again. Home folder is the primary folder of your user account where the documents, musics, photos, downloads etc are stored.
To get to it, click on the Go menu in the top bar and select Home. Or press Command, Shift and H at same time and this will bring Home folder in Finder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I found it and I found each library. Each library has a date created and date modified. Two of the libraries have modified dates as the date I upgraded to Yosemite 7/9/15. But the created dates are different 9/29/2013 and 9/26/2009. There are other libraries one latest created 6/24/14 but this one is only 774kb. And the one created 2013 is 223GB. I have no idea which one to choose. And I'm nervous I lost my photos
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The one that created in 2013 (223GB) would be your iPhoto Library with all your photos. Date created doesn't matter, but the date modified does.
What you want to do is, hold down Option key on your keyboard and open iPhoto. Select Choose Library and select the 223GB library. Does it load your photos?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively as Good or Excellent (4 or 5 stars).
Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I am having a lot of problems since Yosemite update. I also cannot use my printer so lot of this is stressful.For my iPhoto library I know which library to use. But I am pressing the option key and nothing happens.
Am I supposed to push the option key in the home folder and pictures folder? Should I have iPhoto closed? Please give me step by step details because I think I am missing a step. Thank you!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You are almost there. All you have to do is, hold down Option and then OPEN iPhoto application while holding down Option. It will ask you to choose Library. Choose it. Or just double click on the iPhoto Library and it will open in iPhoto. Let me know how it goes please.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you are opening iPhoto from Applications folder, then hold down Option and open iPhoto. You need to hold down Option key before opening the iPhoto application. Release the option only after you get the option to choose library. See here --> http://ilifehelp.com/tutorials/iPhoto/switchLibrary/How.to.switch.between.libraries.in.iPhoto.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I finally was able to open the library and it cannot open because I need to free 23gb space but I can't because I cannot open photos /videos to transfer to my backup hard drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
That is strange. You don't need that much space to open iPhoto.
Download and run this application Omni Disk Sweeper --> https://www.omnigroup.com/more
It will tell you what files are using up your space. Then delete unwanted files and empty trash. Try iPhoto.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it took a longtime but I cleared space then I opened the iPhoto library we talked about and it was working until 44% and now it says I cannot use that library and now I somehow under Pictures have two of the same libraries with different icons. This is extremely stressful . Is there a way to find the photos on my hard drive and just transfer them onto my backup drive?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm very sorry for the delay. It seemed like the iPhoto library was being exported to Photos library and it stopped halfway because of no space.
Open Pictures folder and the library with iPhoto icon is your iPhoto library. You can move that to backup drive.
The one with Photos icon is Photos library. Backup both library and trash the Photos libary from the internal hard drive. Then double click on the iPhoto Library and does it open ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I transfer the IPhoto library to my back up hard drive .. How do I view the photos on the back up hard drive?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
After moving the iPhoto library to backup drive, hold down Option key and open iPhoto. Select Choose Library and then select the iPhoto Library from the backup drive.
Make sure you open iPhoto application from Applications and not the Photos applications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do that. However after transferring and before I reopen iPhoto, can I view individual photos on my back up drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm asking is there a way to view individual photos without opening IPhoto?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can. All you have to do is, right click (or control + click) on the iPhoto Library and select Show Package Contents. This will open the contents in Finder. Open the Masters or Originals folder and you will see all your photos there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! The library is being transferred to the back up drive now . Will then try to see if I can see individual photos with your instructions then I will update you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to open the library on my backup drive and view individual photos.
I have just been checking them to see if they are all there.
What's the next step? Do I have to delete the library on my mac?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, only if you copied it to your backup drive.
Then open iphoto holding down Option key, select Choose Library and choose the Library of external drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive copied it to my back up drive. Now I have to try to delete it from the computer and then open it from the external drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Yes. Do that. Just trash it from the computer. Then double click on the library in external drive and it will open.
Let me know how it goes please.