Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My imac has been going realnslow slow I cleaned some files

Customer Question

Hi my imac has been going realnslow slow I cleaned some files from it. Thenit goes so slow it got stuck. I switch it off and when I boot it it gets stuck after seeing the apple and tries to boot but ends up turning inself off. Any help please? Is it dying?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
It is trying to load the OS X from the hard drive, but it can't and that is why it is shutting down itself. This usually happens if there is any physical problem with the hard drive. The slow response indicates a slow read and write from/to the hard drive and that is result of failing hard drive.
We can do some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not.
First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
Turn off your Mac.
Turn on the computer and immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Then we can run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...
/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)
If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy
Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. Let me know if you get any errors here.
When it finishes type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
Please let me know how it goes.
Please note that we might be dealing with a hardware problem and the above solution might not work, but these steps will help us to identify the problem. Please don't rate me bad or poor if the above didn't work, but please reply back to me and we can continue troubleshooting.